CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ex_fat.c + PROTEUS (SD module)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PICoHolic

ex_fat.c + PROTEUS (SD module)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:39 am     Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the ex_fat.c example under PROTEUS?
Either the original library provided by CCS or the modified one (http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53787)?

FAT initialization is working, anything else is not.

Thanks
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:57 am     Reply with quote

Seriously, nobody cares....

Read the sticky at the top of the forum.

Understand that huge amounts of code that can never work, merrily runs under Isis (Proteus is the PCB drafting package - Isis is the simulator), while equally large amount of good code does not work. isis does not get even remotely close to properly emulating the chips, so don't waste time with it. You'd have to redesign the code anyway when you then move to a real chip....
PICoHolic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:11 am     Reply with quote

I understand that.
I just dropped a quick question just in case.

10x
ezflyr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:49 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

Please see my signature line below! (I'm rather proud of it Very Happy )

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in real hardware!
PICoHolic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:06 am     Reply with quote

I never said that simulation can or may replace real hardware, but sometimes it would be great if simulation helps bringing up a system
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:08 am     Reply with quote

The major problem with Proteus (ISIS) is that it cannot properly simulate! There are hundreds if not thousands of 'threads' on this forum alone of programmers that wonder why the real hardware doesn't work even though 'it did' in Proteus.
Unless YOU can verify the simulator does actually simulate the project 100%, then the simulator is a waste of time.
Take almost any ISIS 'schematic' that's presented here and build the project. It ain't going to work. It's all the little, simple things like no xtal, caps, power supply connections, etc. that aren't in the schematic yet as a tech, hopefully, you KNOW they are important.
To blindly follow ISIS is a sure road to disaster.
These days PICs, protoboards, etc. are real inexpensive and frankly only real hardware in the real World will show you what is (or isn't) working right.
20+ years with PICs, 40+ in microcomputers and I've yet to find ONE simulator that actually can be trusted.

The best 'simulator' IS the Real World !
Jay
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

I've posted before, that we have Proteus, Isis & Ares.
As an _analog_ simulator, Isis is quite acceptable. Tweaking behaviours of active filters, and circuits like this, provided _you_ fill in the data correctly, can be done as well as in other simulators like Spice.

However as PIC simulator, it really is bad. It doesn't understand the chip at all.

Some time ago, we had an analysis done on the effectiveness of some tools and people. The main finding was that projects using Isis, were actually taking longer to complete than equivalent ones done directly to basic prototype, and in every case, despite apparently simulating OK before the board was designed, a second prototype ended up being needed, because of differences in the real chips.

Isis _wastes time_ on a PIC project. Twenty years ago, if it had been available, it might have been useful (given that few companies could get a board produced quickly then). However with the speed that pooling services, or CNC board makers, allow prototypes to be made, it is a 'snare and delusion' to think that this software will help you.
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

You have to agree though that a simulator that accepts a schematic of a PIC16F877 without a crystal 'runs' fine at 20 MHz , let alone NO power connections...runs fine....
sigh

I remember only getting 95 out of 100 in college in an avionics test. I didn't show a power switch. OK so the battery on paper would go dead BUT a real one would. The bottom line is that the schematic drawn MUST represent the REAL project.
That was 40+ years ago.......
..some things I remember
Jay
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:20 pm     Reply with quote

As I say:

"as PIC simulator, it really is bad. It doesn't understand the chip at all"....
rnielsen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:37 am     Reply with quote

So, to answer your original question: no. Nobody here has every tried ex_fat.c example under PROTEUS. Basically because proteus does not work and the people here realize it.

Ronald
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: