CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

resistance temperature detector RTD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gabriel

resistance temperature detector RTD
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:47 pm     Reply with quote

Hi All,

anyone into Brewing beer here?

I have a friend with a couple of temperature monitors model: "PXR4RAS1-4V0A1".

The sensing element is a: "Reotemp S1TPX1259.5X"

Its a 3 wire RTD type sensor 100ohm @ 0.0 C.

I want to log the temperatures but the existing monitor does not have a serial output or anything other than a dry contact.

I do have physical access to all 3 RTD wires... but i dont think this is going to be a straight patch to the ADC jejeje... I do have some hi Quality op amps laying around though i dread analog projects.

Experiences and "advices" are appreciated.

G.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:01 pm     Reply with quote

Try maxim or TI or Microchip for an RTD interface chip. It'll allow the PIC to properly read the RTD sensor ! probably a couple bucks or see Microchips application notes pages.. I know they have 3 or 4 'aps' about using them.

Jay
ezflyr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

An 'RTD' is fundamentally a resistance that varies as a function of temperature. So, why three terminals? Have you made any preliminary measurements? A DVM and a soldering iron (heat source) could potentially tell you a lot!

John
Gabriel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:08 pm     Reply with quote

The 3 wires are to compensate for "wire resistance".
I read with my DVM and all i got where static voltages... i thought i would learn somthing.... i did not.

I did read an aplication note by MCHIP but it was mostly on building the hardware to drive one....

Im trying to piggyback on an existing system so i dont know if the RTD driver chips will interfere with the existing exitation currents and voltages.

Ive been reading alot about these RTD and i think im either dumb or forgot how to electronics.

G.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:53 pm     Reply with quote

The Wikipedia entry for RTD's, is a very good place to start.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_thermometer>

The three wire configuration is shown in this.
The 'power supply' across the bridge, will normally be a constant current source.

You need to be measuring Vb, so the difference in voltage between the two points at each side of the bridge. Your op-amp experience will come in here, allowing this to be read, and fed to the PIC input with suitable scaling. You can adjust this to give better resolution, depending on the actual temperature range your design needs.
Remember the resistors used in the rest of the bridge, need to be super stable types or your accuracy vanishes (and you need to be looking at instrumentation op-amps - possibly chopper stabilised types). Obviously the AD, should be using an external Vref. If you want good range/accuracy, look at PIC's with 12bit ADC's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: