CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

long time to convert ADC value with pic24

View previous topic :: View next topic  
starfire151

long time to convert ADC value with pic24
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:44 pm     Reply with quote

First, I'm running PCWHD V5.044 on a Windows 7 32-bit platform.

I'm having a problem in understanding the timing associated with getting an ADC conversion value from a PIC24EP256GP202 running with an internal rate of 58.96MHz. In looking at scope traces, I can see the external interrupt occurring in the expected amount of time (around 2us, all it does is increments a count and sets a flag for the background to start the conversion). I put a scope marker around the start and end of the ADC conversion routine. The following snippet is from the background routine where the marker is set and cleared:

Code:

....................          output_high(TEST_PIN);
01548:  BSET.B  E15.3
....................          set_adc_channel(CH_PK_IN);  // start conversion on peak input channel
0154A:  CLR     AD1CHS0
....................          delay_us(delayADC);
0154C:  MOV.B   1037,W0L
0154E:  CLR.B   W0H
01550:  CALL    104C
....................          peakVal = (read_adc() & 0xfff); // 12-bit ADC value
01554:  BCLR.B  AD1CON1.DONE
01556:  BSET.B  AD1CON1.SAMP
01558:  BTSS.B  AD1CON1.DONE
0155A:  BRA     1558
0155C:  MOV     ADC1BUF0,W5
0155E:  MOV     #FFF,W0
01560:  AND     W0,W5,W0
01562:  MOV     W0,103E
....................          output_low(TEST_PIN);

The delayADC value is 3.

It takes about 15us to do this conversion, including the 3us delay after starting the conversion. According to the datasheet, the parts is supposed to be able to do 500kbps conversions.

Am I missing something?
jeremiah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

where is your setup_adc() call?
starfire151

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:04 pm     Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I should have included that.

I'm setting up the ADC before the main background loop with the following:

Code:

setup_adc_ports(sAN0);
   setup_adc(ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL);

I'm using the internal clock. I'm only using the AN0 input pin.

In addition, I'm setting up the ADC to do 12-bit conversions:

Code:

#device adc=12
jeremiah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:51 pm     Reply with quote

For most chips (I don't know about this one), the internal clock is only for when doing the conversions during sleep.

Have you tried using the system clock (divided down to Fadc <= 8.5MHz)?
starfire151

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:26 pm     Reply with quote

That's interesting that you say ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL is usually used for sleep mode. I'd never heard that. I've probably misinterpreted the meaning of that clock for a lot of years. I just thought it was the internal clock for use with the ADC. Thanks for that information.

Forgive my ignorance but why do you say <= 8.5MHz? If I'm running with the internal oscillator at 58.96MHz, what would be a suitable ADC_CLOCK_DIV_ number? Since 58.96MHz / 8.5MHz is roughly 6.9, would a suitable clock value be ADC_CLOCK_DIV_16?

Thanks for responding.
Smile
starfire151

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:36 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks, very much, for your help in pointing me in the right direction. I experimented with the ADC_CLOCK values and got the system to operate MUCH faster! Very Happy

Thanks, again, for your help.
jeremiah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:19 pm     Reply with quote

starfire151 wrote:
That's interesting that you say ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL is usually used for sleep mode. I'd never heard that. I've probably misinterpreted the meaning of that clock for a lot of years. I just thought it was the internal clock for use with the ADC. Thanks for that information.

Forgive my ignorance but why do you say <= 8.5MHz? If I'm running with the internal oscillator at 58.96MHz, what would be a suitable ADC_CLOCK_DIV_ number? Since 58.96MHz / 8.5MHz is roughly 6.9, would a suitable clock value be ADC_CLOCK_DIV_16?

Thanks for responding.
Smile

Sorry for the late reply, but to answer your question, the data sheet specified something like a minimum Tad of 117ns for 12bit ADC, which gives just over 8.5MHz, so you want your ADC clock to be some value less than or equal to that so you don't violate the minimum Tad value. Since you said it was roughly 6.9, a divider of 7 or more will work (Note that CCS only defines the powers of 2, but you can look at their pattern and define your own for dividers you need).

Also, something to consider:
It is really really difficult to actually get 12 bits of precision on ADC unless your circuit is perfectly designed. Most people choose 12bits but the actual data they capture has much less resolution. You might consider dropping to 10 bits and you can get an even faster ADC clock (up to 1Msps). You can use a lower divisor (probably 5 or 6, but haven't done the math).
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:38 am     Reply with quote

The comment about 'sleep', only applies to the PIC16/18 (the PIC24, is quite happy to use the internal clock), _but_ the internal clock gives (as you have found), a very slow conversion. ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL, uses an internal RC clock, which is not recommended on the PIC16/18 for use above 1Mhz!. It is a terrifyingly common error to use it 'generically', and even some of the CCS samples do.... :(

Unfortunately, the CCS setup values don't really work logically for these later chips. They stick with 'ADC_CLOCK_DIV' settings, while the processors actually support integer dividers, and this is not made clear.

You can actually just put the divider (-1) into the setup line. So:
Code:

setup_adc(19|ADC_TAD_MUL_2);

gives /20, and 2 Tad acquisition.

So for '6.9', the fastest setting would be:
Code:

setup_adc(6);

which gives /7. Add (OR in) a suitable Tad, if needed. Smile

I Haven't checked the calculations to see if /7 is acceptable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: