CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

pic18F4520 acting odd while using RS232

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AArdvark

pic18F4520 acting odd while using RS232
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:37 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

The code below is from a larger program but this section keeps causing me problems intermittently. I am sending it command in the format of FF9ABL30FFF0502DFE. I have 2 start chars FF, next is a length of the command in this case 9, then the command ABL30FFF0, crc is next 502D and lastly end chars FE. The code checks this command and replies back with an ACK or NACK. Everything is ok, it actions the command ABL30FFF0.(omitted for this)

I have cut the code right down and it still fails, it can fail for several reasons firstly
Code:
 if (n >0)
                     cmdgtzero = 1;

if n is greater than zero cmdgtzero does not change to 1 but stays at 0.

f[0] somehow changes itself from "F" to another char received by the buffer
Code:
if (strcmp (f[0], c[0]) == 0 && strcmp (f[0], c[1]) == 0)               //check if first 2 chars ar "FF"
                 startcmdreceived = 1;                                              //set flag to say start command received

The crc check misses off leading zeros so i put a check in place that if it is less than 4, pad it with a zero and again even though the length was 4, this part of the code was run
Code:

if (strlen(crc) < 4)
                  {
                  strncat(crc_pad, crc,4);

}
                  else
                  strcpy(crc_pad,crc);

this is the code
Code:

#include <main.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <crc.c>

#define BUFFER_SIZE 32
BYTE buffer[BUFFER_SIZE];
BYTE next_in = 0;
BYTE next_out = 0;

#int_rda
void serial_isr()
{
   int t;

buffer[next_in]=getc();
   t=next_in;

next_in=(next_in+1) % BUFFER_SIZE;
   if(next_in==next_out)

next_in=t;           // Buffer full !!
}

#define bkbhit (next_in!=next_out)

BYTE bgetc()
{
   BYTE c;

while(!bkbhit);
   c=buffer[next_out];
    next_out=(next_out+1) % BUFFER_SIZE;

return(c);
}

void main()
{
   setup_adc_ports(AN0_TO_AN3);
   setup_adc(ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL|ADC_TAD_MUL_20);

enable_interrupts(INT_RDA);
   enable_interrupts(GLOBAL);

int16 n= 0;                                                                      //length of command
   int count = 0;                                                                   //counter to count num of chars
   int charcount = 0;                                                               //counts the chars comming in on the serial port
   int32 crc_temp = 0;                                                              //temp storage for crc
   char c[18] = "                 ";                                              //string sent to the PIC
   char f[2] = "F";                                                                 //commands need to be in caps
   char e[2] = "E";                                                                 //commands need to be in caps
   char temp[20];                                                                   //temp storage for the command
   char command[18] = "                 ";                                        //final command string
   char crc[5] = "    ";                                                            //crc value
   char crctobechecked[5] = "    ";                                                 //hold var for crc contined in command
   char crctobecheckedtemp[5] = "    ";                                             //temp storage for crc while being checked
   short startcmdreceived = 0;                                                      //boolean to say start command of "FF" received ok
   short crc_passed = 0;                                                            //boolean to say crc passed the checks
   short endcmdreceived = 0;                                                        //boolean to say end command of "FE" received ok
   short cmdgtzero = 0;                                                             //boolean to say that the command length is greater than zero
   short charsreceived =0;                                                          //boolean to say if any chars received from the input
   char crc_pad[5] ="0";

while(1)
   {                                                                                //loop forever waiting for an input
       count = 3;
       while(bkbhit)
       {
            c[charcount] = bgetc();                                                  //get char from input and put it into 'c'

charcount++;                                                            //increment to move char array on by one
            charsreceived = 1;                                                      //set flag to say chars received
            if (charcount >18)
            break;
       }

if (charsreceived == 1)                                                      //if chars received then check command
       {
         charsreceived = 0;
            if (strcmp (f[0], c[0]) == 0 && strcmp (f[0], c[1]) == 0)               //check if first 2 chars ar "FF"
                 startcmdreceived = 1;                                              //set falg to say start command received

if (startcmdreceived == 1)
            {
                 strcpy(temp, &c[2]);                                               //copy to string to make it include 0x00 termination char needed for atoi
                 n = atoi(temp);                                                    //convert to int

if (n >0)
                     cmdgtzero = 1;                                           //sets the smdgtzero flag

While ((count -3) != n)                                            //Loop to build command
                 {
                     command[(count -3)] = c[count];                                //build the command array
                     count++;
                 }
            }

if (cmdgtzero == 1)
            {
               crc_temp = generate_16bit_crc(temp, (n+1), CRC_CCITT);               //calls crc code and calulates crc from command received
               itoa(crc_temp,16,crc);                                                //converts it to hex string
               if (strlen(crc) < 4)
                  {
                  strncat(crc_pad, crc,4);

}
                  else
                  strcpy(crc_pad,crc);

count = (3+n);

While ((count -3 - n) != 4)
               {
                  crctobechecked[(count -3 - n)] = c[count];                        //extracts the crc from received command
                  count++;
               } 

strcpy(crctobecheckedtemp, crctobechecked);                          //copies the crc to be cheked to a temp var
               if (strcmp(crc_pad, crctobechecked) == 0)                                //check if both crc's matc
                   crc_passed = 1;                                                  //if matched set crc_passed flag               
            }

if(strcmp (f[0], c[3 + n + 4]) == 0 && strcmp (e[0], c[3 + n + 5]) == 0)//check if LAST 2 chars ar "FE"
                   endcmdreceived = 1;                                              //set end command received flag

if (startcmdreceived && cmdgtzero && crc_passed && endcmdreceived ==1)
            {                                                                         //check that all flags are set
               fputs("ACK");                                                        //send "ACK" back to the PC
              // delay_ms(500);                                                     //waits 500ms
             //  actioncmd(command);                                                  //action the received command
            }

Else {  fputs("NACK");  }                                               //if not all flags set return a "NACK" back to PC

crc_pad ="0";                                                                         //Clean up for next command 
                        n = 0;               
            charsreceived = 0;                                                      //sets all the booleans to 0   
               crc_passed = 0;
         startcmdreceived = 0;
           endcmdreceived = 0;
                cmdgtzero = 0;
                charcount = 0;                                                               //Reset charcount
                  command = "                 ";
                        c = "                 ";

}

delay_ms(250);

}

}

I only have little knowledge of C so if i have done something silly please educate me where i have gone wrong.

I am using a PIC 18F4520
compiler ver 5.044

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction to solving this?

Thanks in advance.
alan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:56 am     Reply with quote

You do realize that FF are actually one char and not two.
You have to send 0F and 0F for the first two characters to be F and F.

Regards
AArdvark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:28 am     Reply with quote

Alan,

these are not hex they are just arbitrary characters used to look for the start and end on the data. or have i miss the point on this?
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:51 am     Reply with quote

I suggest you go back a couple of steps. Just cut code to receive 'commands' form the PC and display what the PIC receives in the circular buffer. You need to confirm that step 100% before doing the 'parsing' of the buffered data.

this code...
if (strcmp (f[0], c[0]) == 0 && strcmp (f[0], c[1]) == 0)
seems 'complicated' to me and might generate a lot of code.
Perhaps a simple if( c[0]=='F') might be better?, easier to read, faster?

Have to admit I'm outside farming, no time for PICking this week...

just an idea.

Jay
AArdvark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:01 am     Reply with quote

the 'circular buffer' is working fine i can see its getting the correct data.

i thought i tried using if( c[0]=='F') but it didn't work which is why i came up with what i used maybe i will retry it.

Thanks
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:30 am     Reply with quote

good news you know the incoming data is fine..
just had a silly idea. Unless you 'reset' the buffer position counter then you don't necessarily have an 'F' in C[0] meaning the start of the data string.
I didn't read your code too closely but you need some 'method' to KNOW the start of the data, c[0] isn't it necessarily.

Jay
ckielstra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:26 am     Reply with quote

Code:
   int charcount = 0;                                                               //counts the chars comming in on the serial port
   char c[18] = "                 ";                                              //string sent to the PIC

while(bkbhit)
       {
            c[charcount] = bgetc();                                                  //get char from input and put it into 'c'

charcount++;                                                            //increment to move char array on by one
            charsreceived = 1;                                                      //set flag to say chars received
            if (charcount >18)
            break;
       }
The loop will repeat until 19 characters have been received. this means you have a buffer overflow on array c[] and the next message will be invalid because the first byte was already processed (unless you are actually sending 19 bytes?).

Code:
crc_pad ="0";                                                                         //Clean up for next command
This is not how you copy a string in C. It is valid in Java or C++ where the string is an object, but in C it is just a pointer to memory. What you have done here is changing the crc_pad pointer to point to the constant string "0" in memory. The pointer is no longer directed at you 5 bytes allocated memory. In the following strcpy() and strncat() calls you will then overwrite data in memory with unpredictable results.
Use strcpy() instead. Fix this in all other locations as well.
Note: this notation is valid for variable initialization so only fix the three locations where you assign a new string.

A few minor remarks on coding style:
1) You are mixing the type declaration styles: int, char, short, int16, int32. The size of 'short' and 'int' are different on other compilers. To avoid confusion and to make porting your code easier it is advised to not use these declarations. Only use int1, int8, int16 and int32
2) For boolean variables it is more clear to use 'TRUE' and 'FALSE' rather than 0 and 1.
3) Names like 'crctobecheckedtemp' are difficult to read. Enhance readability by marking the start of each word. Either use underscore characters like crc_to_be_checked_temp or use camel casing like crcToBeCheckedTemp.
4) Don't use 'magic' values, use a defined value instead. The value '18' is several times in your code. It's not clear what this value stands for, and just in case you ever change the buffer size there is a risk you forget to change one instance. Better:
Code:
#define COMMAND_LENGTH   18
char c[COMMAND_LENGTH] = "                 ";                                              //string sent to the PIC
char command[COMMAND_LENGTH] = "                 ";                                        //final command string

etc.

Code:
strcpy(temp, &c[2]);                                               //copy to string to make it include 0x00 termination char needed for atoi
This is bad coding.
strcpy() will not automagically add a terminating zero. In fact, this is a well known security problem in the C language. The strcpy function will copy until the first zero value it finds. If the terminating zero is not where you expect it to be this could mean it copies lots of data and overwrites memory outside your array.
Since your command has a known fixed length you could do something like
Code:
#define COMMAND_LENGTH   18
char c[COMMAND_LENGTH + 1];       //string sent to the PIC.  '+1' for terminating zero.

c[COMMAND_LENGTH] = 0;       // Add string termination needed for atoi.
jeremiah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:45 am     Reply with quote

I don't have the CCS manual in front of me here, but is

Code:

if (strcmp (f[0], c[0]) == 0 && strcmp (f[0], c[1]) == 0)

even valid? I thought strcmp took pointers to strings. f[0] and c[0] and c[1] are just characters. For strings you would want &f[0], &c[0], and &c[1].

Without seeing the manual, I would guess strcmp is taking the character values and using them as random addresses instead of using addresses of the string itself.
AArdvark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:15 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments, I haven't been well lately so I haven't yet try them. I will do and. I also think know you have prompted me to do a bit more reading and research.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: