CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Packet over serial: Header and values collisions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELCouz

Packet over serial: Header and values collisions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:07 pm     Reply with quote

I need to send very simple packets from PC to PIC very fast! (100 times per sec.)

Interfacing PC to PIC is not the problem.

I will have some conflicts with the packet start header and the packets values.

The 16 values are 12-bit.

So I thought of doing:

Code:

START (2 bytes) PACKET CONTENT
        0x01 0x02 0xFFF 0xFFF....

When the packet values are gonna be 1 and 2 (chance that 2 bytes will be in this order is possible) and the pic will be confused about where the packet start.

I thought of using ASCII digits but this use more bytes in term of data flow.

Sending a 12-bit value will use 4 bytes instead of 3.

What do you think?

I think modbus would be overkill and induce a lot of overhead judging by the CCS demo.

BTW, it's just a brainstorming nothing concrete for now.

-----------
Here's my first visual theme for the CCS C Compiler. Enjoy!
newguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

Choose unique START and STOP ASCII characters. The only legal place they can occur is at the start and stop, respectively, of a packet.

Legal packet:

[START] [n bytes of data] [STOP]

If, in the middle of your packet you need to transmit a START or STOP (as part of your data stream), insert an escape sequence instead. Take the standard ASCII escape - 0x1B.

0x1B 0x1B = one byte that is 0x1B
0x1B 0x1C = one byte that is START
0x1B 0x1D = one byte that is STOP

You can make your scheme more robust by also transmitting the number of bytes in the stream and/or a checksum.
ELCouz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:09 pm     Reply with quote

newguy wrote:
Choose unique START and STOP ASCII characters. The only legal place they can occur is at the start and stop, respectively, of a packet.

Legal packet:

[START] [n bytes of data] [STOP]

If, in the middle of your packet you need to transmit a START or STOP (as part of your data stream), insert an escape sequence instead. Take the standard ASCII escape - 0x1B.

0x1B 0x1B = one byte that is 0x1B
0x1B 0x1C = one byte that is START
0x1B 0x1D = one byte that is STOP

You can make your scheme more robust by also transmitting the number of bytes in the stream and/or a checksum.

Your suggesting using ASCII values instead of directly sending real 8-bit hex...

I forgot to say that packet have FIXED length so stop is redundant.

Great alternative!

I still like to know if there a way to transfer raw bytes over serial with a header...

I just wished the serial was 9-bit so I could flag outside of the 8-bit sending.

-----------
newguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:24 pm     Reply with quote

Doesn't have to be ASCII. Just set aside two unique characters (start/stop) and a further "escape" character that allows you to insert the start/stop within your datastream.
gpsmikey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:32 pm     Reply with quote

Be very careful transferring raw bytes over the serial line - especially if one side is the PC. You often don't have access to the low level drivers for the PC and can get unpleasant surprises when the data happens to look like special characters to the PC (CR, LF and others come to mind, having been bitten by that in the past where raw 0x0D got an automatic LF (0x0A) appended by the driver (this was some time ago). I would test a full range of raw data through the PC just to make sure it is not going to "help" you.

mikey
ELCouz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:21 am     Reply with quote

newguy wrote:
Doesn't have to be ASCII. Just set aside two unique characters (start/stop) and a further "escape" character that allows you to insert the start/stop within your datastream.

Alright thanks!

gpsmikey wrote:
Be very careful transferring raw bytes over the serial line - especially if one side is the PC. You often don't have access to the low level drivers for the PC and can get unpleasant surprises when the data happens to look like special characters to the PC (CR, LF and others come to mind, having been bitten by that in the past where raw 0x0D got an automatic LF (0x0A) appended by the driver (this was some time ago). I would test a full range of raw data through the PC just to make sure it is not going to "help" you.

Good observation.

I will test this first.

Thank you guys!
Smile

-----------
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:28 am     Reply with quote

Are you 'locked' to 8bit serial?.

If not, consider using 9bits. Use bit 9 as the 'marker'. So start header with bit 9 set, then data packet with bit 9 off.

This is quite common on some RS485 protocols, where the 'target address' is sent with bit 9 on.
ELCouz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:56 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
Are you 'locked' to 8bit serial?.

If not, consider using 9bits. Use bit 9 as the 'marker'. So start header with bit 9 set, then data packet with bit 9 off.

This is quite common on some RS485 protocols, where the 'target address' is sent with bit 9 on.

I wonder how you can manage to read the ninth bit with PIC.

I've looked quickly found nothing concrete applicable to packet receiving...

I'll continue to look more when I'm back from work.

-----------
gpsmikey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:44 am     Reply with quote

I was looking into using the 9th bit to indicate it was an address quite a while ago when I found one of the new (at the time) 8751 family (FX?) supported the 9th bit as an address flag according to the data sheet. No other info so I called the Intel FAE - his response was "it does?? - I'll have to check it out and get back to you on that". Still waiting for that call back :-) I have seen some uarts that do handle the 9 bits, but I would definitely check out the hardware I was going to use before I assumed that it did support 9 bits.

mikey
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

Motorola has(had) an addressable UART 'MC14469' used the 9th bit. Might be useful info in the app note. been 15 years since I used them though.

Jay
ELCouz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:16 pm     Reply with quote

gpsmikey wrote:
I was looking into using the 9th bit to indicate it was an address quite a while ago when I found one of the new (at the time) 8751 family (FX?) supported the 9th bit as an address flag according to the data sheet. No other info so I called the Intel FAE - his response was "it does?? - I'll have to check it out and get back to you on that". Still waiting for that call back :-) I have seen some uarts that do handle the 9 bits, but I would definitely check out the hardware I was going to use before I assumed that it did support 9 bits.

mikey

So 9-bit UART aren't universal?

I'll double check if the FT232R support it (bridge between PIC and PC).

-----------
ELCouz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:19 pm     Reply with quote

gpsmikey wrote:

mikey

So 9-bit UART aren't universal?
I'll double check if the FT232R support it (bridge between PIC and PC).

The MC14469 ... well ... is old!

Quote:
Guaranteed Data Rates to 4800 Baud @ 5 V, to 9600 Baud @ 12 V

Isssh!!

-----------
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:21 pm     Reply with quote

The PIC UART can handle 9 bit data. You normally write this with the parity bit (since except for some of the DsPIC's, the PIC does not generate parity in hardware), but the CCS functions offer the ability to send the 9th bit if you use a 16bit value to the routines.

Even the earliest PC can also generate 9bit data, but it takes a bit of coding. You 'cheat', and use a look up table to code for every byte value, whether even, or odd parity would generate a 0 or a 1 in the 9th bit, and then toggle the UART setup for each byte.

Many modern PC's allow 9bit to be directly sent. It's only older ones with a plain UART that can't. Later boards use an emulation of the 16C950, that has a micro-controller mode giving 9bit support.
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:48 pm     Reply with quote

re: ...
The MC14469 ... well ... is old! ...

gee , thanks, makes me feel like a dinosaur....

I do have equipment running at 24 baud( yes, 24 bits per second) for the past 20 years on direct wire over 15 miles( yes, miles) of copper.

Don't know if the PC can handle 9 bits though, might need to make a 'bridge' unit. Who knows what's inside a PC these dayze !

Jay
asmallri

Re: Packet over serial: Header and values collisions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:49 pm     Reply with quote

ELCouz wrote:
I need to send very simple packets from PC to PIC very fast! (100 times per sec.)

Interfacing PC to PIC is not the problem.

I will have some conflicts with the packet start header and the packets values.

The 16 values are 12-bit.

So I thought of doing:

Code:

START (2 bytes) PACKET CONTENT
        0x01 0x02 0xFFF 0xFFF....

When the packet values are gonna be 1 and 2 (chance that 2 bytes will be in this order is possible) and the pic will be confused about where the packet start.

I thought of using ASCII digits but this use more bytes in term of data flow.

Sending a 12-bit value will use 4 bytes instead of 3.

What do you think?

I think modbus would be overkill and induce a lot of overhead judging by the CCS demo.

BTW, it's just a brainstorming nothing concrete for now.

As you have already determined modbus would be an overkill however the basic method of detecting the start of a modbus transmission is sound.

In your case it is even easier because your packets are always the same length. You can detect the start of a message frame by detecting an idle period on the serial interface. Modbus uses 3.5 character times to determine an idle bus condition. In your case you could detect the start of a frame as receiving a byte after an idle timeout period and then you can validate the frame simply by determining the length of the frame on detection of the next idle period. If it is not exactly the length you are expecting you ignore the frame as though it never happened. If you wanted to add more confidence to the payload you could define a start-of-message byte, a CRC or checksum and an end-of-message byte

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: