CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Help with CNC machine design from cero.... firmware develop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rald

Help with CNC machine design from cero.... firmware develop
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

Hello Experts,

I have couple of weeks searching about how to build CNC machine (milling) but I can find a lot about the infra (AXIS X, Y ,Z) but I can not understand or find any firmware for a PIC to send and execute the machine.

I have 3 steppers controlled by the PIC18F4550 and also I have some software to use but I don't get what do I need to configure into the PIC to this understand what to do.

Can someone help with this?

please.
thanks.
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

First thing to do is post the make/model/part numbers of the CNC machine you're using BUT if this is a 'homemade' unit you're probably on your own.
There may be some CNC 'standards' for data communications but without more details I can't help you though I do have a 'CNC machine run by a 4550' sitting here collecting dust. One of those 'cup of coffee' challenges I did about 2 years ago.

jay
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:15 am     Reply with quote

The 'standard' for CNC, is G-code. This was the language that 40 years ago, things like HP plotters used to move the pens, which was then expanded to add controls for more axes, more complex shapes etc..

How complex the interpreter needs to be, will depend on what program you are going to use to generate the code, and what features you need.

You are almost certainly not going to fit a G-code translator for complex codes into your PIC. I'd move your stepper control into another simpler PIC, and then (assuming you are using the 4550 to give USB), do the G-code translation in the 4550, using perhaps SPI to control the second chip. I'd actually consider a faster PIC like a PIC32, for the interpreter, since it becomes surprising how much work is involved. I've done them in the past, in Texas 32bit chips, with a PIC doing the mechanical control.

There are several dozen threads running on the web, for PIC G-code interpreters, and some basic ones have been published. Have a look at them. A 'full featured' G-code interpreter, is probably perhaps 50* as complex as the basic stepper control code....

The simplest way to put together a CNC machine, is to forget the PIC. Just use an embedded PC, running Mach-3, using a SmoothStepper board to control the motors.
Rocket

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:56 am     Reply with quote

There is a nice DIY CNC option using the PIC18F4550 found at http://www.planet-cnc.com/index.php?page=diy

If a PCB is needed in South Africa, I have a few spare boards.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:51 am     Reply with quote

Just to get an idea of how complex a G-code interpreter is take a look at this open source project.

http://smoothieware.org/

https://github.com/Smoothieware
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: