CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Want CCS driver for VGA monitor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veerabahu

Want CCS driver for VGA monitor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:18 am     Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I need ccs driver for vga monitor. I googled for this but i couldn't find more info about the code. Can somebody please help me in this?

Thanks in advance
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:59 am     Reply with quote

You are not going to drive an entire VGA display from a PIC. A basic VGA picture, is 640*480*16colours, so 153600bytes of data. Look at the RAM sizes of PIC's....
Now, as has been mentioned in another thread, there are PIC24's, with display hardware to drive LCD's at this sort of resolution, and one from this sort of family could potentially drive a VGA display (with a lot of added hardware - you need to take the image line by line from the display memory, and clock it out to the display - not a software problem, but down to hardware).
However, you can do 'VGA overlay' with a typical PIC, where an existing VGA picture is taken, and the PIC then adds a little text or something similar 'over the top' of this picture. This way the existing VGA hardware already develops the picture, and all the PIC has to do is turn on/off particular pixels at particular locations on the display. Again needs significant hardware (there has to be a circuit to detect the flyback, and frame signals etc..).
Look at:
<http://electronics-home-projects.tripod.com/>
<http://www.rickard.gunee.com/projects/video/pic/howto.php>
There are also chips specifically to do this (STV5730A for example), which can be driven by a PIC.
bkamen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:35 am     Reply with quote

There's also the PIC24FJ256DA210 family that has a video controller built in (with separate video RAM)

Check out the datasheet... It might work for you -- but I think for Analog VGA, it would need a Video DAC.

-Ben

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:34 am     Reply with quote

Another way is to have the PIC drive an ISA 8 bit VGA graphics card. Kinda 'old school' but it does work (BTDT). All you do is have the PIC send the datastream to the card, it does all the 'hard stuff' like timing and memory....
There are 'off the shelf' solutions, updated from what I suggest, it all depends on time and money. How much time you have, how much you want to spend!

hth
jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: