CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Virtual terminal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferrousduke

Virtual terminal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:17 am     Reply with quote

Hello,
I have this problem regarding virtual terminal of ISIS Proteus. using latest CCS C compiler but characters are not being displayed normally as in the picture.. printf function seems to be working but everything is ЁЁЁЁЁЁЁ ... what is it that I am doing wrong?

amirharis

re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:49 pm     Reply with quote

hello..
may i know, what version of proteus that u use?
dyeatman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

Your best bet is to look for Proteus support in the Proteus forum:
http://support.labcenter.co.uk/forums/
b77ng

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:49 am     Reply with quote

I know that this is a very old topic and I also know the official policy concerning Proteus, but since it was the first result of a "Proteus virtual terminal problem" (or something) search, thought I'd share my findings with other Googlers...
Looks like the VT thing in Proteus is usable but rather buggy. First, I'm sending data with even parity at 9600 baud, in a "null modem" configuration (only RX pin on the terminal is connected) and it only works when the terminal is configured for no parity. Otherwise I get garbage. I have checked the waveform and it does have the parity bit.
Second, using no inter character delays eventually ends in corrupted data but not always. I haven't been able to isolate the exact scenario that causes the problem, but looks like a 1ms delay fixes it. Testing the same scenario with no delays on a physical serial port works ok (!!).
All in all, the VT device is usable and I was able to find some bugs by using it, too bad it has such trivial and likely easily fixed issues.
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:35 am     Reply with quote

I don't consider any software 'usable' when you say it's 'buggy' and has data problems (corrupted, but not always). Since it fails in the simplest of all tests, 'loopback', I'm not impressed.
Then again you are talking about Proteus which is well known to NOT be 'usable' when dealing with PICs.

Also the configuration of 8 data bits, even parity is not common. Probably 99.999% of all UART communications is no parity due to the UART architecture being based on 8 data bits these days.

jay
b77ng

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:47 am     Reply with quote

Well, in case someone is dead set on using Proteus, for whatever reason, and decides to Google the problem...
Worst thing that can happen is a few kilobytes wasted on the server's hard drives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: