CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

off topic requests

View previous topic :: View next topic  
temtronic

off topic requests
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

Perhaps it's time to add an 'off topic / aka NOT CCS C' forum ?

We've all seen lots of requests for information that aren't C related but do deal with PICs like power supplies,signal conditioning,'weird' chips, etc.

just asking

Jay
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

Agreed.
I've answered a couple, since I considered them 'harmless'. In some ways a quick answer is the easiest way to deal with these, but some have become very far 'off topic', and do rather spoil the point of the main forum.

Best Wishes
gpsmikey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

I think that is a good idea. Many things while not necessarily CCS specific are certainly still very closely tied to using PICs and CCS. In the big PC world, there tends to be "hardware" and "software" (and other "stuff"), but down at the PIC level, it all has to play together and is often done by the same person.

mikey
ezflyr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:51 pm     Reply with quote

Hi all,

I disagree! I think one of the beauties of the CCS forum is that it is (mostly) 'on-topic', and is not cluttered with a lot of junk unrelated to the compiler. There are plenty of forums for general purpose electronic info/questions, so why entertain them here also? I think the narrow focus of this forum is one of it's major strengths!

If the forum is opened up to general purpose questions, every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to parachute in here after a Google search...... I realize you're all advocating a separate category for this questions, but still I think it's a bad idea.....

John
notbad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:34 pm     Reply with quote

Hi
Dear ezflyr.
I know I'm not in position to post in this thread, but do you suggest that a little off-topic questions should not be asked here at all?
Or are you saying that a section shouldn't be dedicated to them?
Humberto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:02 pm     Reply with quote

I do not share the idea of opening a section of 'off topic' to derive all those questions that are not directly related to CCS, C and PIC MCU's,
the primary reason is how to manage so many different topics, given the wide range of topics that may generate in the future.

There are many forums that may answer most of the 'off topic' consultations received in this forum, it might be better to derive a query to a forum you know.
On the other hand, one of the best qualities of this forum is that 90% of all queries have had a solution, so it is an issue that is closed.

We have put much effort into keeping this forum 'on topic', hence this is an unvaluable material of reference, due the excellent level of the answers given
by the professionals members of this forum. My 2 cents.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:47 am     Reply with quote

Key is though, where you draw the line.

Possibly less than 1% of the posts here are really to do with "CCS C". The majority of the rest are PIC hardware, general C etc.. It's a very 'blurred' edge. Often all the better for it!. I find the _occasional_ well off topic post, not a problem. Far less annoying than the huge number of posts which a one second search would solve, or people who ignore the answers they are given, and threads that were answered in the first few minutes, but continue for days.

I'd quite like to see the 'PIC hardware' threads separated from the 'CCS C' threads, but then each forum would shrink, and work would increase.

What triggered this thread was that three (I think) very off topic posts all launched within a few hours of one another.

To really draw a line, would require far more activity from the moderators (work).

Generally, the forum works well, with the occasional 'advertising' post etc., quickly deleted, and most threads with a nice humour.

Best Wishes Smile
Tom Jetland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:50 am     Reply with quote

I'll hold my hand up.. I was one off the off topic posters Embarassed

However, I did search for a more appropriate section on this forum.. although I know it's supposed to be purely for CCS products. But the beauty with this place is that most of the guys on here are professional and it's difficult to find that sort of quality in other internet places.

I reckon an off-topic sub-directory would be an interesting experiment to see how it would fair.

Tom
newguy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:39 am     Reply with quote

I'm another. The reason I keep coming back here is the depth & breadth of experience of the "regulars." It's like a very large living electrical engineering library.
rnielsen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

I like the idea of an 'off topic' section. We have many people with an in-depth knowledge of a broad range of topics. I, too, have posted off-topic requests for information because I know the people here are a fantastic resource.

Many of the requests for help are due to people working with new peripherals and having issues understanding the communication protocol and it really wasn't a PIC or CCS issue.

Ronald
ckielstra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:29 pm     Reply with quote

I'm against it.

My reasons against an OT section:
1) Most posts on this forum are made by just a handful of people. When you create another sub-forum there is the risk that those people have less time to do CCS support.
2) For the greater good of internet it is best when all forums stay specialized, then it will be easier to find answers instead of having small fragments of information everywhere.

When you see the quick and high quality responses on this forum I do understand it is very tempting to post an OT question but I seriously doubt you will see the same great response in a sub forum.

I don't mind an OT question now and then but there must at least be a direct link to a PIC based project. For me the line was drawn with the ADSL modem question today.

Edit: I just notice I'm close to my 10 year anniversary here and just over 3500 posts. That's almost 1 post every day for 10 years! Razz
Humberto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:38 pm     Reply with quote

The main purposes of this forum are wide enough and most of the issues posted in this forum are already included.
CCS Forum Policy and Guidelines
#6. Stay on topic
Quote:

This forum's sole purpose is to help people with programming Microchip's in CCS PIC C.
Also, generally any discussion about Microchip's, firmware designing and electronic components in embedded systems is considered on topic.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: