CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

rs232 OBD2 Application

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JKL

rs232 OBD2 Application
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

A few years back I made a system that talked to an ELM rs232 OBD2 box. I've got a customer who's interested in buying this system in high volume, but it looks like the rs232 boxes are a lot less common now. Is rs232 OBD2 becoming obsolete? I'd really like to hear from anyone who does a lot of OBD2 and knows the market.

If necessary I can add a PIC32 as a USB master, but it would be a lot more convenient to just stick with serial. Assuming it isn't going away...
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:41 pm     Reply with quote

You can use Google to do marketing research.
Run this search and you get: "About 255,000 results"
Quote:
OBDII scanner RS232

Run it again with USB and you get: "About 1,820,000 results"
Quote:
OBDII scanner USB
temtronic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:47 pm     Reply with quote

RS-232 has gone the way of paper tape,teletypes,8" floppies ,REAL PC ports....sigh.
An option should be to use a TTL<>USB module for $2.For that you get the USB connector,all USB software inside a chip,easy serial interface on a small PCB, no need for a PIC32 unless I'm missing something.

hth
jay
JKL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:46 pm     Reply with quote

PCM programmer wrote:
You can use Google to do marketing research.
Run this search and you get: "About 255,000 results"
Quote:
OBDII scanner RS232

Run it again with USB and you get: "About 1,820,000 results"
Quote:
OBDII scanner USB

Sure, google that and you get hobby projects and links to Chinese manufacturers. Their boxes only cost $8/each, but try to get a straight answer about whether they plan to still make them in a few years...

I was just wondering if somebody here was in this field and had some word of mouth advice.
JKL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:48 pm     Reply with quote

temtronic wrote:
RS-232 has gone the way of paper tape,teletypes,8" floppies ,REAL PC ports....sigh.
An option should be to use a TTL<>USB module for $2.For that you get the USB connector,all USB software inside a chip,easy serial interface on a small PCB, no need for a PIC32 unless I'm missing something.

hth
jay

Thanks Jay, that's a good idea. An adapter module is cheaper than a PIC32, and if it fails the customer can replace it instead of sending your whole system back.

Shame about teletypes. Those things were fun...
rnielsen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:20 am     Reply with quote

RS-232 is not a popular communication option on OBDII devices anymore. With laptops omitting RS-232 ports and having USB ports instead it's really not viable to have that as an option. I, myself, have an OBDII device that has USB and Bluetooth. I've never used the USB port with it because the Bluetooth is so handy and I don't need to mess with any cords. Plus, I can use my phone to interface with it so I don't need a clunky laptop.

Ronald
JKL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:47 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Ronald. Bluetooth is a good idea, but the customer wants a wired connection. You're right though, that is the way of the future.
mars79

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:39 am     Reply with quote

To make communication between Pic and USB, I use USB to TTL converter with FTDI chip or PL2303HX. In both cases work well. Communication CAR PIC USB, or communication between PIC USB, use Bluetooth serial adapter. With the same adapter is implemented and communication with Android applications / if necessary /.

If you use the USB port, TTL - RS232 Converter you will not need.

Greetings!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: