CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

how use ccs compiler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sureshcbdazzler

how use ccs compiler
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:28 pm     Reply with quote

How to use CCS compilers with mplabx?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:38 pm     Reply with quote

FAQ:
How do I create an MPLAB X project that uses the CCS C Compiler?
http://www.ccsinfo.com/faq.php?page=mplabx_tutorial
tinley

Errors do not highlight in edit window?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:26 am     Reply with quote

Is it true that the errors shown in a failed build in the output window of MPLABX (V2.0) cannot then be highlighted in the edit window like they can in the CCS IDE?

Sorry if this issue has been raised before as I can't understand why not!

I must be doing several things wrong as the only way I find the CCS compiler V5.017 workable with MPLABX is to use the CCS IDE and the MPLAB IPE (with PicKit3) for programming, but this is a bit 'clunky' and I don't have the option of debug using it this way. I have tried using the Debug within the CCS compiler and it crashes the IDE on almost every other build, so time wasting and not good at all. Similar bugs have prevented me using CCS/MPLABX as intended over various versions of each since install 6 months ago!

Please point out what I must be doing wrong???
jeremiah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:52 am     Reply with quote

I haven't used a more recent version of mplabx (I think I am 1.60 or 1.70) and when I did it was with a version 4.1xx compiler, but it showed errors that gave me url like links to jump to errors back then. I think there was an IDE setting that affected it.

Either way, it is easy to test out. MPLABX is free.

EDIT:
Here is an old screenshot from version 1.40 that I posted in another thread. For future reference, all I did was a forum search on mplabx and found a bunch of threads with lots of info on it.

http://i.imgur.com/cs1In.jpg
tinley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:34 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

For some reason MPLABX V2.0 does not want to display the .err file that is being created. This is either a fault or an option in MPLABX, but I can't find reference of how to display the .err file. I would imagine this was the default action, whichever compiler is being used.

Maybe an entry in the MPLABX makefile???
alan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:32 am     Reply with quote

Just installed 5.019 and errors are working in MPLAB X 2.0. Seems that CCS fixed it between 5.017 and 5.019.

Regards
jeremiah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:29 am     Reply with quote

tinley wrote:
Thanks for that.

For some reason MPLABX V2.0 does not want to display the .err file that is being created. This is either a fault or an option in MPLABX, but I can't find reference of how to display the .err file. I would imagine this was the default action, whichever compiler is being used.

Maybe an entry in the MPLABX makefile???

I usually go to the "Files" pane and go down the directory path tree to the .err file.
tinley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:44 am     Reply with quote

alan wrote:
Just installed 5.019 and errors are working in MPLAB X 2.0. Seems that CCS fixed it between 5.017 and 5.019.

Regards

Just updated to 5.019 and it works. I was blaming MPLABX. The .err files now have a full path to the warnings and errors. Maybe this was just corrected by re-installing CCS after updating MPLABX or maybe it was a bug in CCS 5.017.

Thank you to both of you for helping me sort this out.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:12 am     Reply with quote

Suspicion it may be 5.017. The way that CCS versions have a habit of making things go wrong is why the trend to their 'auto updater' has me 'squirming'. Fortunately you can still stick with manual updates....

MpLab-X has it's own problems though. If you don't need a chip that only it supports, 8.92, is still the more reliable emulator/IDE. I have both (separate machines, -X has a habit of breaking the older environment), and still wish they could get it to work as well as the older system...

I have 5.016, and 5.018, didn't bother with 5.017.

I wonder if the problem is:
"5.018 A problem with the encoding on an inline assembly MAC or MSC instruction is fixed", since MPLAB looks at the assembler generated. I've been having a problem with 'invalid instruction' errors on some processors importing debug info into MPLAB-X, so might be the same one....

Best Wishes
ckielstra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:16 am     Reply with quote

From the CCS list of changes:
Quote:
5.018 Updates made for the latest MPLAB version
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: