CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Random resets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lykos1986

Random resets
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:59 am     Reply with quote

Hi! I was building a gsm/gprs module board together with a PIC 24F32KA304. I am using both UART channels of the PIC in order to communicate with the module and an FTDI chip.

I am monitoring the data between the PIC and the module with a USB Logic analyzer and I am reading the data between the PIC and the FTDI chip into a terminal window (teraterm).

The problem is that sometimes I am reading some strange symbols into the terminal window and the PIC resets itself multiple times sometimes.
For example at normal operation suddenly I will get something like 20 or more dots ( . ) and then I will get the print “Hello” at the terminal (that the first line of my code that’s why I am saying that the PIC resets itself). Sometimes after that I will have normal operation or the PIC will frizz at this position.
Some other times I will get something like 10 equal symbols ( = ) but with an extra line in the middle then stop for a few seconds and then again a few more prints of the same symbols and again frizz at this position.

Firstly I was thinking that those are because of bad power supply. I’ve check the module power and the PIC power and nothing happened that I must pay so much attention. Of course I have small voltage drops during GPRS connects but those are inside the specification limits. Those voltage drops are mirrored to the PIC creating something like a 10 – 30mV prop in phase with the voltage drops of the module. The power of the PIC is 2.8V and those drops should not create any operational problem.

Then I’ve checked the serial data between the module and the PIC. I assumed that maybe I am getting some non-standard data and somehow the PIC (combined with my code) gets crazy because of those! But the serial line is perfectly clean!

So, do you thing that this maybe happening because of non-good code? Something at my interrupt service routine (that reads the data received from the module) is wrong? Maybe because it is a little bit big (I’ve read somewhere that the ISR must be as small as possible)

Any help, suggestions or info of what I have to look?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:12 am     Reply with quote

Seriously, you don't say how you are detecting the 'small drops'. Odds are that if this is something like a scope (or worse), a meter, it'll be missing the 'real' instantaneous drops. If you can measure several mV of drop, then you have inadequate regulation/smoothing.
FvM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:12 am     Reply with quote

Hardware resets can be caused by GSM supply current pulses or RF being picked up by the digital circuit.

Software resets are often caused by PIC24 error traps.

The reset cause can be determined by inspecting the RCON register.
Lykos1986

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:17 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
Seriously, you don't say how you are detecting the 'small drops'. Odds are that if this is something like a scope (or worse), a meter, it'll be missing the 'real' instantaneous drops. If you can measure several mV of drop, then you have inadequate regulation/smoothing.

I am using a Tektronix TDS2024B. It is 200MHz bandwidth and is set to random peak detect. The triggering is also sep appropriately in order to detect those events. It can go really low at the ns scale without to decrease the bandwidth... so, it is more than enough in order to detect those drops.

FvM wrote:
Hardware resets can be caused by GSM supply current pulses or RF being picked up by the digital circuit.

Software resets are often caused by PIC24 error traps.

The reset cause can be determined by inspecting the RCON register.

I was thinking that has something to do with the big supply current during transmission pulses, GPRS attach ets thats why I've checked the voltages immediately without to thing anything else. But the voltage drop it produced during those phases is not significantly.

I will have a look at the RCON register asap...
temtronic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:55 am     Reply with quote

Could easily be a 'power supply ' problem,poor PCB layout/design,lack of decoupling caps,bad solder joints on unused pin pullups,bad ground bus.
Without seeing a picture of the board,hard to tell.
Assuming a 'wallwart' type power supply,could be noisy if a switching type,lack of reserve power,etc.
What are the current demands of the project? You should have 3x that as a minimal power supply.
To isolate...I'd run the project off a car battery,see what happens.If it fails..probably not a supply problem.
Other sources of 'random resets' can include using WDT,internal osc,ISR enabled but not impletmented,accessing RAM wrong( pointers,etc.).

Key is to reduce program to minimal that does fail and diagnose what's left.Start with JUST the PIC,simple 'hello world' code,run for a day,does it fail? If not, add more code a section at a time,testing long enough to prove sucess or failure.

hth
jay
gpsmikey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:59 am     Reply with quote

One thing that can drive you nuts if you have multiple things all hooked together, each with a different supply or ground. Ground faults/loops can cause all sorts of odd things to happen. Make sure that ground is tied together on all the stuff you have hooked together.

mikey
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:21 am     Reply with quote

What about the stack size issue ?
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49585

Search the CCS forum archives. Do a search for this:
Quote:
*24F* reset*

and set it to Search For All Terms.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:52 am     Reply with quote

Other simple one that hasn't been mentioned. Floating inputs.

Any pin that is not set as an output, if not being driven, could easily pick up nasty spikes from the RF. If you have any unused pins, set them as outputs.

Also what is connected to MCLR?.
MCLR alone of standard PIC pins, does not have any diode protection (because it also feeds Vpp). If MCLR is disabled, it'll still result in a reset, if the voltage on this pin goes fractionally above Vdd....
If you have a 'standard' resistive/capacitive network on MCLR, without a diode across the resistor, then if the supply droops, the MCLR pin will go above Vdd.

Stack however is the first one to look at.

Best Wishes
jeremiah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

I have noticed on that chip that it will not operate correctly at the high end of its frequency range. What speed are you running it at?

For example, I tried running it at 22.1184 MHz and experienced the exact same thing you are (even on couple line main programs). When I dropped down to 11MHz everything worked fine. Even though the data sheet says it can handle 25MHz, try running it slower and see if the issues remain or go away.

EDIT: also, if you do drop the frequency pay attention to what the data sheet says about which fuse goes with which speed. If I remember correctly, the standard ranges for most PIC24s don't apply to this chip (like the XT vs HS ranges I think).
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:30 am     Reply with quote

As a further comment, have you looked at the UART transmit errata on this chip. Uurgh!...
Really implies you must use interrupt driven transmission, and only load characters one at a time on the interrupt. Horrid fault.

This could result in the garbage data, and then if your error handling has a fault, or uses extra stack space, this could give the reset....

Best Wishes
jeremiah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:55 am     Reply with quote

That worried me too. I've been testing it for over a year just using normal non isr transmit without any issues. I'm not sure if I am reading the errata right or not, but I would have expected issues. I haven't seen any. I'm running at both 9600 and 115200 on separate uarts.

EDIT: Maybe that's why running it at the higher crystal frequency resulted in resets with simple printf calls but slower crystal frequencies didn't? I know that is a shot in the dark...but something to consider.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:20 am     Reply with quote

That is a very interesting possibility.
If the problem was found on a normal board operating at perhaps 80% plus of it's maximum frequency, I doubt if anyone would have tried running slower to see if the fault disappeared.
It'd need somebody to do a really basic data transmission test at full clock speed, and at perhaps half speed and see if there is any change. If there was, it might explain a lot....

Best Wishes
Lykos1986

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:15 am     Reply with quote

gpsmikey wrote:
One thing that can drive you nuts if you have multiple things all hooked together, each with a different supply or ground. Ground faults/loops can cause all sorts of odd things to happen. Make sure that ground is tied together on all the stuff you have hooked together.
mikey

I am guessing that has something to do with the ground connections. It seems that the power input is OK (with a huge power track) but at least from the PCB visual inspection the ground return is not the best possible. Lots of brakes and multiple tiny return paths.

That combined with the power hungry GSM/GPRS module probably will be the cause of all problems. On the other hand I was expecting that this “problem” on the ground returns will create and bigger voltage drops… but this is not happening.

Ttelmah wrote:

Any pin that is not set as an output, if not being driven, could easily pick up nasty spikes from the RF. If you have any unused pins, set them as outputs.

Also what is connected to MCLR?.
MCLR alone of standard PIC pins, does not have any diode protection (because it also feeds Vpp). If MCLR is disabled, it'll still result in a reset, if the voltage on this pin goes fractionally above Vdd....
If you have a 'standard' resistive/capacitive network on MCLR, without a diode across the resistor, then if the supply droops, the MCLR pin will go above Vdd.

Stack however is the first one to look at.

Best Wishes

Floating inputs… I may have a couple of those! As for the MCLR, it is connected as usual following the directions of the datasheet (with its capacitors and resistors in order to connect and the PICKit 3 / ICD 3).

jeremiah wrote:
I have noticed on that chip that it will not operate correctly at the high end of its frequency range. What speed are you running it at?

I am running at 16MHz… and I will have a look at lower frequencies as well.

Ttelmah wrote:
As a further comment, have you looked at the UART transmit errata on this chip. Uurgh!...
Really implies you must use interrupt driven transmission, and only load characters one at a time on the interrupt. Horrid fault.

This could result in the garbage data, and then if your error handling has a fault, or uses extra stack space, this could give the reset....

Best Wishes

Well, that’s really interesting! First of all I have to say that I haven’t read the errata. Yes, my mistake… I know! I will have a look on that because if I am not wrong it starts to produces those errors at the time I am trying to send something to the terminal (at a presentence of 60% and the other 40% is totally random).

PCM programmer wrote:
What about the stack size issue ?
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49585

Search the CCS forum archives. Do a search for this:
Quote:
*24F* reset*

and set it to Search For All Terms.

Interesting as well. I will have a look at all possibilities.
Very interesting ideas for all of you!!! Thanks a lot to every singe one in this conversation. I will start the tastings tomorrow as for now I am out of my home "“lab”"...

Hopefully I will get to the end of this problem.
Lykos1986

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:58 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:

Any pin that is not set as an output, if not being driven, could easily pick up nasty spikes from the RF

I've just fixed the floating inputs and the random resets decreased by something like 30% or more!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: