CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CCS C compiler ver4.to ver.5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blups

CCS C compiler ver4.to ver.5
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:49 am     Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have some difficults by switching from C compiler ver4 to ver5.
Starting ver4 project with the new platform "CCS C Compiler" splits out the following message:

http://postimg.org/image/lzpuk15t5/

It seems to be not so big problem, because after that the compiler executes his procedures without any error messages. The new hex file is much bigger as the older one. It is no dramatic, but the UARTs doesn't work with the new hex.

Some ideas?

Much 10x in advance

GR
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:41 am     Reply with quote

As a 'comment', I'd suggest not opening V4 projects. Leave them so you can go back, and instead open the first source file, and create a new project. V5, uses a new project format, and tries to convert the older format when you open a V4 project. Once this is done, you can't compile with V4, without building a new project (though the compiler is meant to support this, it seems to give some problems). Hence I prefer to keep the old project and start 'anew'.

What V4 version did you have?. There have been several small changes during the V4 lifespan, and it may be that your V4 version is just giving a hiccup for the conversion. It does seem normally to work, from 'later' V4 versions.

Do you use interrupts for the comm's?. Do you do anything 'DIY' in the interrupt handling?. One 'big' change in V5, is that the data storage table for the interrupt handler is different. If you have anything like this, add:
Code:
#device ccs4

near the top of your code, which will make the compiler use the V4 layout.

The defaults on some fuses have changed. Worth checking the fuse list at the end of the .lst file from V4, and comparing it with the one from V5. You may find something has changed here.

Generally, CCS5, seems pretty compatible with V4. It does produce fractionally larger code in general, but I've not seem a big increase, and 99.9% of projects seem to compile OK. However this is from 4.141. Several things from older compilers, do give problems.

What PIC?. Another poster had problems coming from a early 4.1xx version, since the behaviour on nested interrupts was changed here. Documented in the readme.txt for the next few versions, but not for V5.

Best Wishes
blups

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:43 am     Reply with quote

Hi Ttelmah,

mutch 10x for the response. In a fact I use interrupts for the Hardware UART1 and UART2.
#device ccs4 doesn't afect the situation.

I did simple things in the comm's interrupts like:
f.E.
Code:

#int_RDA
void  RDA_isr(void)
{
   char ch;
   #use rs232(baud=57600,parity=N,xmit=PIN_D11,rcv=PIN_D0,bits=8,UART1) // PC   
   ch=getch();
   #use rs232(baud=57600,parity=N,xmit=PIN_B9,rcv=PIN_B8,bits=8,UART2) // Module
   putc(ch);
}

#int_RDA2
void  RDA2_isr(void)
{
   char ch;
   ch=getch();
   printf("%x \n",ch);
}

RDA_isr works without any problems. I send a hex sequence of 5 elements (a9 05 6a 00 68).
The module reacts of the command and execute the requested command. It should respond with the sequence (a9 05 6a 64 04).

So at the first cycle of the RDA2 it prints only the first 3 elements(a9 05 6a), with the second cycle it prints (64 04 a9) and than nothing. The RDA continues to work properly and the module executes the command but RDA2 doesn't print anything.
So when I put small changes in the code :
Code:

#int_RDA2
void  RDA2_isr(void)
{
   char ch;
   ch=getch();
   printf("%x",ch);
}

without new line "\n", the RDA2 works without a problem!

Actualy I need much more time for evaluating some incoming data in the RDA2. Any ideas?

P.S.
I don't use any other interrupts!

The PIC is 24FJ128GB106

The old PCD is 4.112
The new one is 5.012
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:29 am     Reply with quote

That that ever worked (if it did), is amazing....

Several things in sequence:

1) Don't use #use RS232's in the code like this. Historically, you could use #use RS232 statements 'in line', to change the UART settings as you went along, _but_ using them inside an interrupt, will leave the code in an indeterminate state, with the default putc/getc, potentially routed to the wrong device. Switching to different pins/uart's, is what _streams_ are for.
Look at the manual, and fgetc/fputc.
Study the CCS examples, and code posted here. You will not find a single (working) example that tries to do things as you are doing....

2) Time. Remember that a rs232 interrupt implies there is one character waiting, and may be only one character time, till the next one arrives. Hence you really must get out of the interrupt handler in less than one character time. The larger hardware buffers on the PIC24, may slightly save you, but it is not the way to work. If you want to print inside and interrupt, then use interrupt driven buffered TX (look at ex_stisr.c).

As it stands, the code is fundamentally flawed. Don't blame the compiler...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: