CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CCS on Mac?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lykos1986

CCS on Mac?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

Are you planing to bring the CCS compiler to the Mac? Now that MpLab X runs on Mac it will be nice to have and the CCS compiler at the same platform!

Are you having any schedule for that or it is not even at the concept level?
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

1) CCS does not read/monitor this forum very often, instead ask them directly on their website...see the big blue outlined box in the uper right of this page.

2) I thought MACs nowadays were 'grownup' and could run Windows software.

3) One option though is to buy an r-pi for $25 or grab a next to free PC system.

hth
jay
Lykos1986

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:34 am     Reply with quote

1) Since this forum is a direct link from their official website I was thinking that CCS is monitoring and moderating this forum daily! As for the blue outlined box at the top right... I never read it because it looks more like a Google Ad and not like an info board!

2) Mac nowadays are grownup (they were before as well) but still they are not running windows software. The software architecture is different compared to windows. Of course, you can run windows on a Mac with VM or BootCamp but both of those solutions are having a few negatives.

3) Why to buy a r-pi? If I want to go to ARM based I can go to an mbed (low price and better for fast prototyping plus cross-platform online compiler) or a BeagleBone (way better than the highly advertised but nothing special r-pi) or even the newer BeagleBone Black that it is far superior to r-pi!

I want CCS because I want to use the PICs for couple of projects (not r-pi) without the need to boot from my Mac to Windows 7!
temtronic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:04 am     Reply with quote

1) well now you know how to contact them ...it'd be interesting to see the numbers of MAC users vs PC, it might not be commercially viable for CCS to produce a MAC version though, that's why i ask about #2.

2) I've had MACs since the original came out. I was unaware the current MACs couldn't run Windows apps without 'problems'. Then again all my MACs are dust collectors as 98% of my work is done on Windows based machines. The other 2% is on a 68k with FORTH.

3) I got the impression you wanted an inexpensive way to use the compiler (most do). PIs are cheap, great for single apps, small space unit compared to full sized desktops. Come to think of it, even a laptop would work (I have 6 of them dust collectors too).

I use a KVM switch to flip between my 'test' and 'design' PCs. Reduces desk clutter (-1 kbd, -1crt) and allows instant real world testing.

hth
jay
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:03 am     Reply with quote

Yes, I'm wondering what the 'problems' are?.
The only problem I had with any PC application running under a virtual session, was VMWare couldn't handle one particular OpenGL application. But then a lot of PC video cards couldn't either. Parallels ran it OK.
Even had things like flight simulator running in a virtual session...

Best Wishes
asmallri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:39 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
Best Wishes

One problem occurs if you clone a VM because you might want to revert to the original VM in the event of issues. Then forever after the VM maintains a journal of changes to the original VM. The VM then runs like a dog as it spends most of its CPU cycles journaling.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
ckielstra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:01 am     Reply with quote

asmallri wrote:
Ttelmah wrote:
Best Wishes

One problem occurs if you clone a VM because you might want to revert to the original VM in the event of issues. Then forever after the VM maintains a journal of changes to the original VM. The VM then runs like a dog as it spends most of its CPU cycles journaling.
Doesn't sound like an applicable problem here. For running CCS in a VM you don't need journalling and it is extra functionality you don't have in the standard MAC either.

So, I too am still wondering what the problems are for running CCS in a VM?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:36 am     Reply with quote

I run 'reserve' VM's all the time, and have never seen a problem.
VMWare ages ago advised me that the safest way to do this, was to always stop the primary VM, and when you launch the copy, it asks if this is a copy, or you have moved the VM. They said to select the 'moved' option. It will then launch the copy as it was at the moment it was copied (using the same mac address, which is why the primary must be stopped). Just do the work you want, then stop the copy, and launch the primary. I've gone back to VM's several years old, without problems.
The same works with Parallels.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: