CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ethernet on 18F4550

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barikjk

ethernet on 18F4550
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am     Reply with quote

Hello friends
when i implement Ethernet HTTP server on 18F4550 the pgm-memory is found insufficient. I want to put a larger web-page. Is there a solution for this?Is it possible to compile a ccs-c code independently means without main function and put in SD card and run it by some means by putting part by part in flash memory ? I am using 28j60 controller. The controller enc28j60 is heating ; is it OK?
If any body has implemented FTP server ? I need help for FTP .
I am thinking of using pic32F. which controller may be better for ethernet and usb both?
thanks all
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:54 am     Reply with quote

The later replacements for the 4550 are generally 3.3v. Chips like the 46J50, have double the ROM, and at least 50% more RAM straight away.
Yes, you could use an external memory to hold the page sources, but if you are using USB, you are probably using something like half the memory for this already, and by the time you add code to read pages as needed, and the code to handle the ethernet, you can easily hit the same problem again.
Switching up to one of the 16bit, or 32bit PIC's, gives more RAM, more ROM, and a lot more performance. Down to how much of your code you want to rewrite....
The Ethernet controllers often do run quite hot. You need to make some real measurements. The actual temperature will depend on how it is mounted, what it is drawing, the environment etc.. You need to see if it is drawing more than it should, and how hot it really is.

Best Wishes
bkamen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:50 am     Reply with quote

The latest MCHP TCPIP Stack has built in functionality to store web pages on EEPROM or SPI based FLASH (like those from SST, a company which MCHP bought)

I don't recall off my head if the CCS Stack (Microchip's version 3.75) stack supports what's now called MPFS.

You should really download the latest stack from microchip and take a look. It's free...

unfortunately, it does not currently compile under CCS.

And there's the bummer.

But reading up on MPFS would let you see how Microchip does exactly what you're asking.

-Ben

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:31 am     Reply with quote

Agreed.
I have the nasty suspicion though, that with the extra space this takes up to 'do', it might well be worth shifting to something like the 46J50 'anyway', and adding the external memory.

Best Wishes
bkamen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:26 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:

I have the nasty suspicion though, that with the extra space this takes up to 'do', it might well be worth shifting to something like the 46J50 'anyway', and adding the external memory.

Agreed.

or an 18F47j53.

I've used those -- plenty of space.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: