CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Serial Programming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vishnuvarkala

Serial Programming
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:31 pm     Reply with quote

Can any one tell me how to program an 18f452 using a serial boot loader. Is their any boot loader available for programming this chip through the D+ and D- pins. In other words, can I program this chip directly through the usb port of my PC, without using a programmer!!! Smile
bkamen

Re: Serial Programming
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:03 pm     Reply with quote

vishnuvarkala wrote:
Can any one tell me how to program an 18f452 using a serial boot loader. Is their any boot loader available for programming this chip through the D+ and D- pins. In other words, can I program this chip directly through the usb port of my PC, without using a programmer!!! Smile

Look at this thread:

http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49989

So, yes, you can program a PIC without a programmer ONCE the bootloader is installed. (obviously PIC's that have little flash space may not be able to hold the bootloader. Some PIC's are not cut out for bootloaders.)

Keep in mind though that the bootloader has special needs because it should always stay in FLASH and should never be allowed to erase/damage itself.

So -- from here, go and look at the bootloader example that's supplied with CCS PIC-C.

Then you can apply that to the USB port (which is possible, I've modified the Microchip free USB bootloader for a client's needs). USB is needs just like RS232 might -- so keep that in mind. But definitely possible.

If you still have questions, come on back and let us know what they are.

-Ben

Serial Programming
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:44 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,
I read so many articles regarding the serial programmer , using a bootloader and MAX232 IC .The problem is ,most of the laptops and PCs now don't have a serial port. So this are my requirements

->direct connection from the D+ and D- of the usb port to the D+ and D- of the 18fxxx chip.

->A bootloader for directly reading the data coming through D+ and D-

->A software for sending the .HEX file through the usb port. The software should be able to detect the chip when directly connected to the usb port.
bkamen

Re: Serial Programming
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:57 pm     Reply with quote

vishnuvarkala wrote:
Hi,
I read so many articles regarding the serial programmer , using a bootloader and MAX232 IC .The problem is ,most of the laptops and PCs now don't have a serial port. So this are my requirements

->direct connection from the D+ and D- of the usb port to the D+ and D- of the 18fxxx chip.

->A bootloader for directly reading the data coming through D+ and D-

->A software for sending the .HEX file through the usb port. The software should be able to detect the chip when directly connected to the usb port.

That's easily solved with:

1) An FTDI232 chip.
2) A USB-Serial Dongle

but -- wanting a USB only is fine. You can do USB bootloaders.

Microchip even gives one away (but it's written to compile with Microchip's compilers. Not that it couldn't be re-written to compile with CCS.. but..)

USB Bootloaders are out there. I just don't think CCS has one with their compiler. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong)

Also, did you search the code library here at all?

http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21396
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36721

-Ben
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: