CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Where drivers come from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edistskho

Where drivers come from?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:15 am     Reply with quote

I am new in CCS , the built in functions is OK make not to always check registers such as trisb, porta, intcon and so on. It help very much. But when I have to deal with keypad, LCD, I2C, onewire that only drivers are available.
My questions is "why CCS does not make libraries for peripherals?". I think the drivers are not bad but many are little amateur and unclear. May be because I am new comer in CCS.
temtronic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:08 am     Reply with quote

Quick answer is no one can make full drivers for every peripheral device on the market!
Think about it, hundreds of I2C and SPI chips, as well as 1wire chips, let alone the 'odd ball', propriatory devices. Then there's the 'which PIC' problem. Do you make the driver PIC specific or 'universal'?
CCS has included a LOT of drivers for free when you buy the compilers and if there isn't an exact one for your device, odds are you can modify what CCS supplies and carry on.
If you're a reasonably good C coder, you can cut your own drivers. What CCS has done with all their drivers AND example programs is to give you a great beginning or starting point !
hth
jay
asmboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:52 pm     Reply with quote

You may feel that a given driver is "amateur" but since the source code is there - its up to you to do it better. The CCS intrinsics however are so far beyond ANY OTHER Pic compiler that you MUST FORGIVE THAT.
to paraphrase Winston Churchill:
"CCS is the worst compiler, except for all THE REST !!"

CODE QUALITY THAT BASICALLY WORKS - IS ALL IN THE MIND OF THE BEHOLDER - OR SHOULD I SAY customer
LOL
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: