CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CCS Usb device driver reliability

View previous topic :: View next topic  
russk2txb

CCS Usb device driver reliability
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:20 am     Reply with quote

I have got my test project for the PIC 18F14K50 done and works well, but I have a lot of connection issues. I am using the CCS USB to UART, SERIAL DEMO driver (cdc_NTXPVista.inf), with Windows XP Pro. When this driver is first installed it works well. I can connect using the COM Port (Like COM10) or the USBSER001 id. However whenever I disconnect the USB cable and reattach it, something goes wrong.

Usually the PC Program (HyperTerminal or my own program) will fail to connect, giving error 2 (no device). Originally I found that if I switch the usb connector to my second usb jack on the PC then a new COM port would be assigned and will work. But after that, nothing by a reboot would get it working again. That means that uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it does not help. Device manager continues to show that the old assigned COM port is the correct one (but will not work). A reboot clears both ports and allows a new one to be assigned.

I have tried all manner of methods to try to avoid the reboot, including removing all instances of the USB device in the registry, but the PC continues to remember and try to use the old port.

Then I wrote code to enumerate all USBSER devices and display them for selection in my PC program. That revealed that a new USBSER # and a new COM port were being assinged after a disconnect and reconnect. Yet Device manager (and the program USBDView) continue to show the old device and port number only (as does Hyperterminal). Usually this new USBSER device number will connect, and sometimes it will work properly, but often it only works for a short time and then hangs the USB connection.

As you can probably tell by now, I am a newcomer to USB programming, yet I am wondering about the reliability of the CSC supplied device driver. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Somewhere I thought I read that the CCS drivers are not intended for production use, but I cannot find this now. How would one go about obtaining a driver that is production quality?

Thanks, Russ
asmboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:52 am     Reply with quote

research the FTDI FT232R

i've used this part in many projects and even had to document it, and its Win driver's , EXCELLENT fault tolerance for life science critical applications.

the integrated USB features of the pic family, IMHO, are of such code bulk and complexity compared to VCOM ports implemented via this sort of hardware, - that i simply won't consider the Microchip integral USB functions for any purpose.

i am still keeping a useless ( to me) inventory of many different USB enabled PIC devices that i simply will never use, or consider designing into a new project.

i would love to hear however, of an application where the integral USB functions are needed and can outperform the max baud rates that the FT family Vcom chips provides.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:30 pm     Reply with quote

The standard PIC drivers can be made to work OK though.
Key question is how the slave device detects that the connection has dropped?.
You really need two 'layers' to this:
1) Hardware detection of the connection - use the connection sense. It helps a _lot_.
2) Use the DTE/DCD settings to detect in the PC code that the device is present (and disconnect when it isn't), and also in the slave to detect that the master has disconnected.
So your main code 'loop', needs something like:
Code:

usb_init_cs();
    while (true) {
      if (usb_attached()) {
         usb_task();
         if (usb_enumerated()){
            if (usb_cdc_carrier.dte_present) {

//Here handle the actual main code
           }
        }
     }
   }

Then your PC code needs to set DTE, when it opens the port, and check the device is present, and close the com port if not. Otherwise the port gets 'locked' by the OS, even if the USB device disappears.

Best Wishes
FvM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

I don't want to argue against FTDI chips in general, they serve their purpose and I've used them in a number of designs. But you get pretty powerful PIC processors for the price of a FT232, or you can reduce overall costs and part count respectively. If you want to implement other device classes than basic serial port, there's no competition anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: