CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CAN-Bootloader for PIC18F

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RHA

CAN-Bootloader for PIC18F
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:54 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

Has somebody already successfully used a CAN-Bootloader? Preferably for the PIC18F?

I took a look to http://ds30loader.com/index.php and it looks pretty nice. But it will cost 450€ per license (one PIC in a single product) and that´s many money for just trying it, in worst case without success.
jeremiah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:32 am     Reply with quote

I've not used one, but microchip offers one for free. The source code for the Bootloader is at the end of the PDF:

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00247a.pdf
RHA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:12 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, that's right, but I've heard that the Bootloader from the AN247 is buggy. And with the DS30Loader I would have a complete system with Loader, GUI, and if I need and will pay for with encryption.

I don't need it private. I will pay with the money from my employer Very Happy
RHA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

I've tested the free version of the DS30Loader (serial) and it worked fine so I think I will give the CAN-Version a try.

Today I've ordered a USC<->CAN-Adapter from IXXAT and when I have explicit information about which license I have to buy I will order the bootloader.

When I have some new information I will write it here.
sarodrig

Any update?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:20 pm     Reply with quote

Hi RHA,
Any update on the DS30 CAN bootloader? Good timing on your post, as I am facing the same problem. I need a CAN bootloader. I've researched AN247, and it has the appearance of a project that Microchip just abandoned (only one update to the code back in 2002). I'm fairly certain they don't support it anymore.
Thanks
RHA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:52 pm     Reply with quote

Hi sarodrig,

i was ill last week, but on monday i have ordered a CAN-Adapter and the bootloader (with secure function) it it know it is already sended. On next tuesday i will test it and send a reply to this Thread.
sarodrig

DS30 CAN Bootloader is a good choice
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:45 pm     Reply with quote

Hi RHA,
I'm happy to report that I gave the DS30 CAN bootloader a try, and got it working with relative ease. For the most part, changes required by the end-user are well documented, so there wasn't too much digging through code to figure out what to do.

There are a few hurdles with the timing. Some variables get set in "settings.inc" (where most user changes take place), which are then used to set BRGCON1, 2, and 3 in "can.inc". You just need to look closely to see how the variables are used in this register (a few n-1 assignments might throw you off otherwise).

Good luck!
sarodrig
RF_Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:14 am     Reply with quote

Can you put more than one target node on a CAN net? in other words is the DS30 CAN bootloader addressable? If yes, how does it work?

I'm interested in this for a practical commercial application.

RF Developer.
RHA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:16 am     Reply with quote

OK, i got it working.

I had some problems because of my installation of MPLab and of my hardware. But after fixing that i got it working in a short time.

@RF_Developer :
You can code the address in the bootloader. But then you have to compile it for every node before programming.

Or all nodes are reacting on the same ID in the bootloader and you only have to reset the node when upgrading.

Or you can make a possibility for addressing in your hard-/software and a software routine for resetting the CPU on a specific CAN-Transmission. You can then setup this transmission in the GUI of the bootloader to sent before trying to connect to bootloader. In this case you can connect to every node while running without manual operation for reset.
RHA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:32 pm     Reply with quote

After working a little bit with the bootloader and setup I'm really satisfied with it. It works fine and with ease. You can setup all things you need. Only some little bugs in the GUI´s are a little disturbing but I think they will be fixed soon.

With CAN the costs will be 250€ for the standard version and 450€ for the secure version.

I think I will use it again in a next project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: