CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

pic programmers for CCS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davt

pic programmers for CCS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:24 am     Reply with quote

Hi all, had a long lay off from electronics and pic programming.
Trying to get back my enthusiasm!! However, I have a warp 13 a programmer which I used and am now trying to get going I need a redback 10a upgrade to program the 16f767. I realise it may be best to buy a new programmer but what to buy that integrates into CCS my version being

PCWH Compiler
IDE version 3.210
PCB version 3.210
PCM version 3.210
PCH version 3.212

As I said have not used it for a few years!!!

Any help with the 10A upgrade or suggestions for a new programmer would be greatly appreciated!
I am located in UK.

Thanks!
temtronic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:43 am     Reply with quote

I've got a couple Picstart Plus units here( one ivory, one black) that do all I need and more. Yes, they were expensive( actually black one was free from MC).Why two ? I got tired of going up and down 3 flights of stairs.

Do the 'market survey' and be sure to get a programmer that's easily upgraded for the newer PICs. Also be aware that MPLAB will default the compiled code to 'debug' and PICs won't run right, unless you change to 'release' and recompile.You can change the default to 'release' though.
asmboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:20 am     Reply with quote

I used to use MC programmers in my ASM only daze -
BUT always felt i was paying WAY too many $$ for limited PIC support.

I am several years down the road NOW
with the micro engineering labs ( melabs) U2 - USB powered programmer -

It has many flexible sockets including in circuit heads - frequent free program / device updates - and handles 3v parts. I own 2 of them and insisted the fab location i work with - use them too.

Nice packages of programmer and a DIP 40-28-20-14-8 ZIF socket -leave change back from $150

BEST FEATURE OF ALL !!! excellent interactive FUSE editor - for all PIC parts - has really saved my rear end when CCS compiled fuse settings were not so hot - PLUS it labels each fuse and its present hex file state with OPTIONS on drop down menus- all i do is experiment with the MELAB fuse editor to get it right w/o a recompile in CCS
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:48 am     Reply with quote

But he is asking this:
Quote:

What to buy that integrates into CCS my version ?
IDE version 3.210

That version was released in mid-September 2004.

At that time, I think the only programmer/debuggers that were completely
integrated with the CCS IDE were the CCS ICD-U and ICD-S. These are
older CCS products and are not sold anymore on their website. But you
could possibly buy one in the used marketplace somewhere, or maybe
buy a clone of one.

It's occurred to me that maybe you don't mean the same thing that I do
when you say "integrates". What I mean is that if a programmer/debugger
is integrated, it means it has a menu selection item within the IDE. You
can control the programmer/debugger completely and smoothly from
within the IDE.

You may mean, merely, that you want a programmer that has a separate
control program that can load a .HEX file produced by the IDE, and
program it into a PIC. The program to do this is run by pressing the Start
button in Windows, and then navigating to it in the Programs menu.
It's totally separate from the CCS IDE. The IDE and the Programmer's
control program don't know each other exists.
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:47 pm     Reply with quote

I know the context is about older versions of programmers circa v 3.210. It is fair to point out that today CCS does sell a ICU64 programmer and an ICDS40 as well as others ex MACH X. The U is for USB and the S for serial RS232
The CCS programmer is also a debugger. With Microchip products like the PICkit the firmware code for a specific chip is downloaded to the PICkit and it downloads separate code for debugging and for release. The CCS programmer is loaded once ( sure there are updates like when Microchip adds new devices) and doesn't need to have new firmware code downloaded if you change the PIC device you work with or if you move from debugging to release. The CCS programmer has more features especially when it works with the CCS IDE than the Microchip product but I'm sticking with the apples to apples stuff. The CCS programmer can program a hex file into a chip via ICSP. This can be done within the CCS IDE and externally via the CCS LOAD program. MPLAB does the release programming from within MPLAB. Now the PICkit can retain the firmware and can without MPLAB clone other identical PIC devices. In this mode it doesn't need a PC ( but does need USB power) whereas CCS needs the PC for either the CCS IDE debugging/programming or the CCSLOAD program.
A hopefully constructive comment on Fuse settings. The disadvantage in resetting FUSE settings ( ex given above by asmboy) without recompiling is that it leaves no documentation of the change in the source code. It is at best just in the hex file (if that). Maybe this is OK for a lone ranger operation or exigent circumstances. Since an edit of the fuses in source code and compile only takes seconds most I'm guessing would go that way.
asmboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:32 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

Since an edit of the fuses in source code and compile only takes seconds most I'm guessing would go that way.

but when guessing and missing with fuses - the fuse editor approach is fast at testing/adjusting whats REALLY being set
re fuses.....

CCS has a bad habit of redoing header files and CHANGING fuse params

for no good reason i can see -----

i just got bit on header differences s in the device.h file for the 18f4525 where ccs changed the fuse param BORV27 to BORV28 from 4.085 to 4.127

then also on some of the 18f xxK family -
the darned fuses are so inscrutable ( to me anyway) that i admit to hacking out what works with the downstream fuse editor- and THEN trying to see what CCS settings generate the same thing. with CCS i never know which arcane settings default to WHAT in the fuses dept !!!
davt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:20 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies!
I may not have made request clear, appologies.
The set up I had was CCS and warp13A, this programmer was listed in the drop down menu under tools, it could be activated and the warp programmer would pop up with the hex file already loaded, very convenient. I have got my hands on a Picstart Plus and in a previous post asked how I could intergrate this into CCS like the Warp13.
I would presume this could be done some how. If I have to buy a more uptodate version of CCS then I will. So if anyone can help me step by step to integrate Picstart Plus into the CCS environment, if it is possible, I would be most grateful.
Thanks for your patience!
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:06 am     Reply with quote

What works for me, is the following setup.
I have a black cased PicstartPlus connected via RS-232 to my PC.Depending on how old yours is, you may have to download to upgrade it from the Microchip website.
Software consists of MPLAB v8.66 with the 'plug-in' from CCS that 'patches' the CCS compilers into the list that you can choose from while in MPLAB.
When you create projects, be sure to change the build configuration from 'debug' to 'release' before you compile(F10).The default is to have 'debugger' code in your project something I never do and Mchip sent me info on how to change the default to 'release'.
Maybe not the 'normal' way to cut code but it's worked for me for 20 years....
newguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:15 am     Reply with quote

I use CCS programmers (ICDU40 and ICDU64) with the CCSLOAD program. Once you open a file with CCSLOAD, it will automatically refresh and load the new program every time you compile. I'm not sure if CCSLOAD is freely available or is distributed with the ICDUxx programmers.

Another plus: the ICDU64 is only $75.
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 am     Reply with quote

Same here I have the CCS ICDU40 CCS ICDU64 and a pickit3 and an original PICstart and an ICDU2 clone that isn't working so well lately.
I only use the PicKit 3 for the 32 bit PIC's since the CCS ICD tools are just more convenient as well as better bang for the buck. Now this isn't science since I have a strong bias given I am most familiar with the CCS products.
For the original thread inquiry.....A newer CCS compiler is needed for the latest chips...CCS often bundles and maybe you can get a reduced price if you upgrade and add in an ICDU64
PS
newguy Hope you aren't working outdoors this time of year I don't think the CCS products are Arctic circle rated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: