CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PIC18F4550 problem with USB and Reset

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prefekt

PIC18F4550 problem with USB and Reset
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a board with a pic18f4550, USB and RS232 Interface. The PIC is running perfect.
So I have develop a new board for this application with similar layout as the first board and a ground plane.
My problem is now, that the USB doesn't work (a window appears that the usb hardware was not correctly detected in windows XP). And when I tip with a metal item e.g. screwdriver on a GND pin or the ground plane the PIC do a reset...
In my first layout, the same pic works without these problems.

I have a 100nF between VDD and VSS ...

Anybody an Idea?

Best regards
Volker
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:44 pm     Reply with quote

Seriously, designing a ground plane properly, involves quite a bit of knowledge. For instance, if you run it tightly round the oscillator pins, you introduce a lot of stray capacitance, and can take the crystal off frequency. Microchip have a good application note showing how to layout a ground plane round oscillator pins amongst other things to do with the oscillator. Other things that could affect the USB, are the total capacitance that is present around the USB wires. Maximum lengths, and allowable impedance limits are part of the USB spec, and need to be considered.
The resets suggest that though you are calling this a 'ground plane', it is not actually grounded, or connected to the point that local circuitry considers 'ground'...

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: