CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Jump to another address

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RckRllRfg

Jump to another address
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:39 am     Reply with quote

I have one more hurdle for the bootloader.

I am trying to implement a jump to the loader program from my application. Using the goto_address is not working. I tend to believe that it is due to the higher address in which the application resides. In addition I am concerned about clearing out the stack.

BTW, the .lst shows the following:

.................... goto_address(LOADER_END-LOADER_SIZE);
0B8F: CLRF 0A
0B90: MOVLW 80
0B91: MOVWF 02
0B92: MOVLB 00

This is more of side question, but an explanation would be appreciated. Should the MOVLB command be at the beginning of the 4 assembly commands listed above.?

CLRF 0A clears the value of the PCLATH

MOVLW 80 move the literal 80 (the address of interest) into W

MOVWF 02 puts 80 into the PCL. It is my understanding that upon this writing of the register, the jump to the address should take effect.

The MOVLB is to change to bank 00.

Using: CCS 4.124, MPLAB 8.76 and PIC16F1947

Thanks for your consideration -

RckRllRfg
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:39 am     Reply with quote

The compiler 'knows' what bank is currently selected, and will use this if it is what is needed. The PCL, and PCLATH register, are present in _all_ banks (0..7), so the compiler does not need to change banks before addressing these. The instruction to change banks, is for the following code, which should never be reached. The chip has already jumped.

The bank change doesn't come from the goto_address instruction. If you compile this in a little test program with nothing around it, there is no bank change instruction. The bank change, is a standard instruction put at the _end_ of a subroutine, to switch back to bank0, before the routine returns. If the routine contains any instruction that changes the bank, then at the end of the routine there will be this MOVLB 00 instruction. In this case it does nothing since the code has gone elsewhere.....

That you are in a subroutine, suggests your jump stack may contain something. If so you should consider setting STKPTR to 0x1F before jumping.

The jump certainly should work as it is. Is your loader really this small?. Just 0x80 bytes?.

Best Wishes
FvM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:47 am     Reply with quote

Starting the bootloader by a jump or goto requires to think about restoring default conditions for the chip. Performing cpu_reset(), possibly setting a flag to distinguish from regular reset is the better variant in my opinion.
RckRllRfg

A few more details for your consideration
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:08 am     Reply with quote

FvM and Ttelmath -

First, thank you for the explanation and the recommendations. I will pursue them.

I should also provide a bit more explanation as to what I am trying to accomplish.

I would like to have 2 methods to jump to the bootloader. The first would be to use a specific configuration of DIP switches that the bootloader reads upon POR. The second is a jump to the bootloader after the application has identified a series of ASCII values sent from a terminal program such as RealTerm.

But, here's the rub - if the application is calling the bootloader, the DIP switches will not be in the bootloader configuration (and in the environment in which this equipment will be in, it will be extremely difficult to access the switches).

So, I was thinking that a way to handle this would be to jump to the real_load_program start address rather than the main of the bootloader.

I suppose that I could write some register prior to the jump and have the bootloader check it to see if this flag has been set, as FvM has suggested, but this still requires a jump. Since the loader and application are separate programs, I have to deal with this discontinuity.

I like the idea of the cpu_reset since should clear the stacks and other key registers. If use the cpu_reset(), would I lose the flag that I set?

RckRllRfg
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:57 am     Reply with quote

You need to understand the different types of 'reset'.
Only a power_on reset, clears the memory locations. On a watchdog, they will retain their previous values, as they will on a reset_cpu instruction. On a brownout, the values are indeterminate.
Even with a power_on reset, quite a few values are indeterminate. There is no actual _guarantee_ that a memory address will contain 0, or 1. There are determined values for quite a few of the registers, and these are in the memory map in the data sheet.
This is why it is possible to leave values uninitialised on boot, and only initialise them on a normal restart, and have code 'carry on' with existing values in the case of a watchdog restart.
Using this is where the 'restart_cause_ instruction comes in vitally useful. You can code at the start of your bootloader:
Code:

if(restart_cause()==RESET_INSTRUCTION) {
   //Here handle your restart from the main code bootloader operation
}
else {
   //Here check your normal bootloader hardware bits

}

Obviously you would need further options if you have to handle a WDT restart for instance, but the basic idea is there.

Best Wishes
RckRllRfg

It worked!!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:10 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah and FvM -

After making few adjustments to the memory allocations (cause my main got too big for its britches), adding in the reset_cpu in the application, and adding the reset_cause in the application, IT WORKED!!!

Thank you for your recommendations. I would go drink, but I have to write up the documentation....

My best to all of you,

RckRllRfg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: