CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Thermistor or LD35

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbiesss

Thermistor or LD35
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:14 am     Reply with quote

hi everyone,

just wanna know more about how thermistor and ld35 work.
which one is more suitable for human temperature measurement?
and how do i measure if im using thermistor and the way ld35 measure the temperature. by skin contact to human body? or how?

and which type is more suitable if im building it in my project with pic?

pls provide me some solution/website/code/circuit/schematic diagram of the thermistor or ld35 which implement with pic and show the temperature on the pc.

any of suggestion is much appreciated.

thanks!
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:18 am     Reply with quote

first...
This forum is about using CCS C to create programs for PICs, not a general Q&A electronics forum.

That being said and assuming you meant LM35 and not LD35, either will work for your project depending on the time constant you require for the readings. Obviously the thermistor will be faster(if the bead style) and may be easier to attach to your skin.
From the code perspective, the LM35 is a linear device, easy to cut code for( several examples are on the 'net'). Thermisitors require more code and overall design.Selection is the challenege, then it's just a matter of code cutting based upon the manufacturers datasheets.

Calibration is the key to either device to get accurate readings and of course the actual hardware construction is important (noise,EMI,line loss,etc).

I'd be inclined to use an NTCLE203E3103FB0 thermistor (10K leaded) unit from Digikey (BC2299-nd).Cheap,fast,easy to use for your application.

The choice is yours...1,000s exist !!!
Stormrider

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

I was setting up the ADC of my 16F887 to interface an LM35 also, but found out I had some error margin when reaching the max reference voltage, and the LM35 has a sensitivity of 1°C/0.1V so I was not very suitable for me. I know I have to work out the ADC to make it work better, but in the end I chose to use a Maxim DS1631 Digital Thermometer. It uses I2C and sends 1 o 2 bytes to the PIC to make temperature readings. Is fairly easy to use, just get the DS1631 datasheet and application note from Maxim and read the CCS manual on implementing I2C.

Good luck with your project!

[edit]
The DS1631 IC's flat surface makes it great for human temperature readings, when I put my thumb over it it read about 29°C, it has a great response and sensitivity.
bkamen

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:47 pm     Reply with quote

temtronic wrote:

I'd be inclined to use an NTCLE203E3103FB0 thermistor (10K leaded) unit from Digikey (BC2299-nd).Cheap,fast,easy to use for your application.

I would agree that the NTC thermistors are a good and cheap way to go -- and honestly, Vishay makes so much information available about their devices, that the code on a PIC isn't so bad. Lookup table or computed.

They have a spreadsheet you can load up and enter in the device values and it will give you the coefficients you need for the equation that's also supplied.

Although, I've also used the Dallas/Maxim I2C based Thermometers and they are nice too. They can provide 0.5'C resolution, but I think the accuracy was 2'C.

-Ben

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:53 pm     Reply with quote

bkamen wrote:

Although, I've also used the Dallas/Maxim I2C based Thermometers and they are nice too. They can provide 0.5'C resolution, but I think the accuracy was 2'C.
-Ben

There are different resolutions and accuracy, for example the DS1631 offers 0.5°C of accuracy and the output resolution is user selectable from 9 to 12 bits, or DS1621. My DS1631 is working excellent!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: