CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Bootloader causing random errors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrischuravy

Bootloader causing random errors
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

I am attempting to load a program onto a PIC18F6722 using a modified (to fit my chip) version of the CCS bootloader, and experiencing apparently random glitches once the code is loaded. I have a boot block of 1K words, reset vector is at 0x800 and interrupt vectors at 0x808 and 0x818. Once loaded, the code executes as intended, save for an error that changes with each (slightly different) compilation of the main code. The errors are consistent when using the same compilation, so I don't think it is a problem loading the code. Rather, it seems like a boundary issue or the like. For instance, if I add some garbage code in the region where the error is occurring and recompile, the error will go away and a new one will pop up somewhere else. Compiling and loading without the bootloader results in error-free execution. Any thoughts? Similar problems?

Thanks,
Chris
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:55 pm     Reply with quote

1. Post your compiler version.

2. Also make sure you don't use the XINST fuse. Read the PIC using your
programmer. Does it have XINST set to true ?
chrischuravy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

1. I am using PCH Version 4.114.

2. The XINST is not set.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

Here are some previous threads on similar problems. They may help.
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23991
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42082
chrischuravy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:33 pm     Reply with quote

I used the #org directive to prevent the compiler from generating code at the 32k boundaries in program memory. This seems to have fixed the problem. However, I am concerned that future modifications to the program will cause the problem to return. The Programming specification for my chip indicates that the program memory is divided into 16k byte blocks, not 32k byte. Should I include similar #org directives to prevent code being placed at the 16k boundaries as well?
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:59 pm     Reply with quote

I recall that someone tried blocking the 32K boundary (at my suggestion
I think), and he reported it didn't always fix the problem.

Maybe it's possible that if you block the 16K boundaries it will fix it.
Try it.
chrischuravy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:07 am     Reply with quote

Ok, so blocking code at the 16k boundaries did not fix the problem. The moving problem seemed to be occurring in the block (0x10000 to 0x13FFF. In a frustrated attempt to fix the problem, I block code to the entire 16k block. The problem then moved to the next available block(0x14000 to 0x1BFFF). What I am gathering from this is that there is a problem jumping between the blocks that moving my reset and interrupt vectors has uncovered. I have tried using different optimization levels to no avail and am getting very frustrated chasing this down. The only effective solution to this problem I have found has been to randomly move code around and hope that the compiler doesn't generate problematic code. Where am I going wrong?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: