CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PIC24F compiler good enough for 4 UARTs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will Reeve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PIC24F compiler good enough for 4 UARTs
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:31 am     Reply with quote

Hi, I am a PIC18F and PIC16F developer, pretty happy with the CCS compiler with these parts. I have a job which requires 4 hardware UARTS, instead of linking two 18's with SPI I thought I would go with a PIC24F part and expand my knowledge!
$100 PCWHD upgrade was a no brainer but it appears that CCS won't let you add it without a current maintenance.
All the talk about how buggy the 24 compiler was and the now $350 cost is making me think about the Microchip C compiler.
All my project needs is 4 hardware UARTs, some flashing LEDs and the registers to go integer math. Most of the CCS compiler bugs seem to be pointer related, am I safe if I program around these?
FvM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:43 am     Reply with quote

Early PCD version had some problems with UART assignment and programmable #PIN_SELECT, but it's working correctly now. Even if there would be still an issue, you have always the option to access the special function registers directly to perform a particular action. In so far, PCD is surely "good enough".
temtronic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:17 am     Reply with quote

Since you're already happy with the hardware and software you're currently using, consider staying with what you have.
By using common PICs in your projects,you save a bit on inventory,perhaps boards as well. From the software side, the new series could cost you a LOT of development time($$$) as well as frustration if the code 'just doesn't work'...
'Upgrading' to the newest chip and/or software doesn't mean it's actually better.

Just somethings to consider.
Will Reeve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:45 am     Reply with quote

indeed. Still rolling it around in my head.

I need 4 hardware UARTS, so 2 x 16F or 18F look good. They need to share memory, so a I2C or SPI between them which doesn't interfere with the UART comms...

On the 24F side, only one PIC to code for and program (although I would design the 2 x 18F's to have the same code)

Cost wise about the same 2 x low end 18F = 1 x low end 24F

Development time, big(ish) learning curve to move to C30, less so CCS. Less hardware/software debug with 24F (assuming the compiler can be trusted!).

Decisions....
MikeW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:45 am     Reply with quote

I would personally go the safer route, dependent upon the volumes you require.

there is an NXP I2C(SPI) to uart bridge chip, which contains 2 uarts, each with 64 byte tx and Rx FIFO.
it just takes away all of the pain of having a single pic trying to handle multiple uart data.

I have used them on both pic16, and pic 18, and there is a driver posted in the ccs code library forum.

NXP SC16IS752IPW
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=568-4016-5-ND

I would steer clear of pcd, I wouldn't use it for a production product
Will Reeve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:40 am     Reply with quote

Mike, that's a result. Project is mission critical for an instrument about 10,000 times the cost of this part! I think the CCS 18F compiler is pretty much there now (although I do still keep versions with projects just in case!).
That NXP part does what I was going to do myself with the 2nd PIC! Has interrupts on 4 bytes received as well!

90% of me is relieved, 10% disappointed, the 24F looks like a nice family but I would rather develop on it for a less time and mission critical job!

Thanks for all your posts guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: