CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

microcontroller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bilal

microcontroller
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:04 am     Reply with quote

Hi I am using PIC16F877A and I want to design a robot with it.
Someone told me "PIC micro controllers are very sensitive to external noise generated by high current H bridges so you have to use 8051".
Is it true???
What should I prefer,
8051 or PIC16F877A???
thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:54 am     Reply with quote

Not really true, but possibly in parts.....

_Both_ chips require careful design.

The original 8051, was designed with ESD 'in mind', and has better protection than the standard PIC _but_ many '8051' chips that you will get now, are clones, and use similar technology to the PIC.... There are though special derivatives like the C8051F70x, which are latter versions again designed to help with noise immunity, and these are significantly more forgiving. The PIC16, is itself more forgiving than the PIC18 family.

With proper design, there are plenty of PIC's out there controlling large H-bridges (have a design in use, that handles 6KVA at 80V), with a PIC18, and some others going larger than this (one PIC based design controlling over 80KVA). However the latter is synthesizing three phase PWM sinusoids, rather than just an H-Bridge.

Generally, PICs tend perhaps to be used more commonly by people who have not got the general knowledge of how to design when handling power, so a lot more more problems are then seen....

The PIC can be used fine, but _you_ will need to look perhaps slightly more carefully at overall design.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: