CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Telnet host

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilar

Telnet host
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:46 pm     Reply with quote

Hi, I have the following problem:
I have a medical equipment which has to be set up but it has only an ethernet port. The configuration must be done using Telnet commands. Using a PC this is very simple, but I do not want to use a PC, I want to use a PIC to do this function (Telnet host). Someone might suggest how or what to use to do this.
bkamen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:03 pm     Reply with quote

Why?

Why MUST you use a PIC for this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:43 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Why?

Why MUST you use a PIC for this?

Because this equipment is portable and is to be used in field applications and use a PC just to configure this equipment is a waste of resources
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:01 am     Reply with quote

Just because you can't use a conventional PC, doesn't make a PIC the next choice.
Seriously, consider something like a pocket-PC. Off the shelf. Telnet code already written, etc. etc.. You could have a system running in a day, versus a few weeks development time to even start doing a PIC version, with the costs of a prototype running to many dozens of times the cost of a pocket-PC.....

Best Wishes
andrewg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:40 am     Reply with quote

I imagine that most pocket-PCs don't have an ethernet port. A netbook is probably the best pre-built option.

Regarding using a PIC, CCS have a TCP/IP library that supports the ENC28J60. Using a suitable MagJack will simplify construction, although there's no avoiding a custom PCB. It's relatively easy to write code to open a TCP stream (which is basically all Telnet is) and read/write. There are relevant examples with the library. You will need current CCS support to download the library.

You will need to use at least an 18F part with 64KB Flash (the TCP/IP library is relatively large). Also consider how you're going to obtain/configure the TCP/IP addresses, network mask, etc. You'll need a display and buttons at least. Although I guess you'll need that anyway to configure your device.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:43 am     Reply with quote

andrewg wrote:
I imagine that most pocket-PCs don't have an ethernet port. A netbook is probably the best pre-built option.

Regarding using a PIC, CCS have a TCP/IP library that supports the ENC28J60. Using a suitable MagJack will simplify construction, although there's no avoiding a custom PCB. It's relatively easy to write code to open a TCP stream (which is basically all Telnet is) and read/write. There are relevant examples with the library. You will need current CCS support to download the library.

You will need to use at least an 18F part with 64KB Flash (the TCP/IP library is relatively large). Also consider how you're going to obtain/configure the TCP/IP addresses, network mask, etc. You'll need a display and buttons at least. Although I guess you'll need that anyway to configure your device.

He could use the 18FxxJ60 that doesn't even need the external ENC... all he needs is a MagJack. I did a project with one of those... they're nice.

But I still agree a netbook will be cheaper and faster and he can just load up with PuTTY or some other popular telnet program.

-Ben

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:30 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions ...
bkamen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:57 am     Reply with quote

No Problem...

and if you have a netbook (with linux or windows) you can easily automate setup writing in something like Expect (a scripting language) with your own easy port-23 connection.

Cheers,

-Ben
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: