CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Weird SPI powerup bug

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evsource

Weird SPI powerup bug
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:53 pm     Reply with quote

I've got a 18F4685 master and 18F2620 slave. Compiler PCH 4.109. I'm using the slave select line. Using mode 3. Both are running at 40mHz with external crystals.

I can get both to communicate fine if I power up the chips at the same time. If I reprogram the master while the slave is running, when the master starts running again, it does "something" weird.

Here's the "normal" data packet received from the slave when powered up together, or if I power up the slave second:

0xFC (init byte)
0x00 (data)
0x00 (data)
0x00 (data)
0xAB (end of transmission byte)

Here's the "weird" stuff I get if I power up the master second, while the slave is still running:

0xFC
0x02
0x00
0x02
0x7C
0xAB

I have no idea where the 0x02's and 0x7C are coming from. The slave is not loading that data into the SSPBUF.

I've polled the receive overflow indicator bit (SSPOV), as well as the write collision detect bit (WCOL) in SSPCON1, both of which never get set.

The master is sending data (irrelevant what it's sending, I think), at very slow intervals. A single byte is transmitted every 1ms. Hence, the data is being received at that rate.

I know a simple test program will be asked for. Thing is, it works - just not all the time. If a test program is needed to give advice, let me know and I'll strip it down to the bare bones.

Any brilliant ideas?
evsource

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

Looks like I found something to make it work, but it seems strange that I'd have to do it.

In the slave, I look for regular communications from the master - every 50ms. What I did if I don't see comm from the master in that time frame is this:

Code:

setup_spi(SPI_SLAVE | SPI_MODE_3 );

Now I don't get the odd behavior I was getting before.

Looks like the write collision detect bit was being set ... I was referencing the wrong register (0xFC9 instead of 0xFC6). However, if I just try to clear WCOL when communications aren't being seen from the master, it still doesn't work.

Weird. If anyone has an explanation on why this works, I'd appreciate it.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:02 pm     Reply with quote

Try putting a 10K pull-up on the \CS line. If there are two boards, the
pull-up should be on the slave board. This will hold the slave de-selected
if the Master is not present.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: