CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Help me with RS232 circuit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pk178

Help me with RS232 circuit
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:30 am     Reply with quote

Hi everybody !

I have a pickit, and I've tested RS232 module on that, it's ok, but when I design my printed circuit, it doesn't work. I tried it 3 times Mad

I use max232 (product of maxim) and PIC16F887. I designed circuit according to datasheet, this is my printed circuit :

I don't know where is error ! Please help me ! Thanks so much !
jbmiller

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:09 am     Reply with quote

It would be easier if you sent the schematic instead of the PCB layout.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:12 am     Reply with quote

Looking at the PCB though. What is the component left of the PIC, with just four pins?.
Assuming this part isn't doing anything silly, then it looks 'possible'. I'd say the most likely proiblems were:
1) If this is a homemade (not PTH) board, then are you sure the connections to the top tracking are made OK?.
2) Have you verified the PIC is actually running?. Try just toggling a pin in a loop. Does it toggle, and at the right frequency. If it doesn't toggle, are you sure the capacitors used on the crystal are 'right'. Classic mistake would be fitting something like 22nF, instead of 22pF for these, which will normally stop the oscillator running.
3) You have an ICSP header. Are you using LVP?. If not, have you disabled LVP in the fuses?. If not, then the PGM pin, _must_ have a resistor holding it low...
4) Whiskers.

etc. etc...

Best Wishes
jbmiller

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:34 am     Reply with quote

Looks like an onboard 'reset' switch (coneccted to mclr).
Jay
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:40 am     Reply with quote

Yes, easily could be. In which case, add 'check that switch really _is_ going off when released' to likely failure modes....

Best Wishes
pk178

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
Looking at the PCB though. What is the component left of the PIC, with just four pins?.
Assuming this part isn't doing anything silly, then it looks 'possible'. I'd say the most likely proiblems were:
1) If this is a homemade (not PTH) board, then are you sure the connections to the top tracking are made OK?.
2) Have you verified the PIC is actually running?. Try just toggling a pin in a loop. Does it toggle, and at the right frequency. If it doesn't toggle, are you sure the capacitors used on the crystal are 'right'. Classic mistake would be fitting something like 22nF, instead of 22pF for these, which will normally stop the oscillator running.
3) You have an ICSP header. Are you using LVP?. If not, have you disabled LVP in the fuses?. If not, then the PGM pin, _must_ have a resistor holding it low...
4) Whiskers.

etc. etc...

Best Wishes

Many thanks to Ttelmah !

1. The component at left of PIC is a button, it's used to reset PIC.
2. PIC is still ok, I tried some simple programs, and it's run ok.
3. With a same program, the circuit on my pickit operate good, but the circuit above doesn't operate, so my program is still ok.
4 The ICSP header, I don't use LVP, the PGM is actually can be remove.

The problem is not in my program, I only don't understand why I draw circuit according to datasheet, the circuit doesn't work !

Please help me with this problem, or anybody,who has a PCB, please share me. Thanks a lot!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:49 am     Reply with quote

OK.
If a 'simple program' works, the first thing to do, is prove that your oscillator is actually running at the expected frequency. Do the classic "pin high for one second, low for one second" test, and with a scope, or just by eye, verify that the frequency really is 0.5Hz. If not, then the serial won't work...

As a 'comment', look to adding a small capacitor close to the PIC, across the supply. The only smoothing on the supply, is the single electrolytic capacitor above the MAX232. electrolytic capacitors perform badly at high frequencies, and you also want the impedance path to the capacitor from active components like the PIC, and MAX232, to be short. This is why if youo look at a piece of electronics like a PC, you will see several large electrolytics at the supply, but also small polyester, or ceramic capacitors close to almost every IC that is performing any form of switching operation.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: