CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ICD Debug bug driving me nuts!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will Reeve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

ICD Debug bug driving me nuts!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:04 am     Reply with quote

Is it just me who this happens to? I use the Debug facility in the PCW ICD and really like it. However every so often the "Expression" column for the Watches tab disappears and I have to close the Debug window and re-open it. The "Value" column stays and the program otherwise is fully functional! This used to happen to me with version 3 as well!
This is nearly as annoying as the ability to get a "break" point stuck on a non-existing line of your code, only editing the .prj file directly and restarting PCW fixes this one!
In the words of Terry Wogan...is it me?
Gary Smithson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:20 pm     Reply with quote

I think I can speak for the rest of us when I say; It's not you.

CCS is really bad about leaving bugs unattended for months and months and fixing something in a version only to have the next version break it again. I could go on and on.

The thing is, they have a consulting service; I have a consulting service. I find and report at least 2 bugs a week. Do they not use their own products??

Gary Smithson
bkamen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

I'm not sure which Debugger you're using, but I've had really decent success with using CCS as the compiler and MPLAB/ICD2|3 as the debugger.

In fact, that's all I ever used.

Consider less headache using an PICkit3|ICD3 for your debugging needs.

-Ben

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:25 am     Reply with quote

A friend uses MPLAB and also recommends it. I just don't have the time to learn it, and otherwise I quite like the CCS ICD apart from those two annoyances! Last time I used MPLAB was about 10 years ago and CCS integration wasn't great. I can't remember it having ICD support back then! Maybe I should look again!
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:25 am     Reply with quote

I've had great success using CCs ICD and the CCS IDE I had a terrible time with MPLAB and the hockey puck ICD that's why I went with CCS.
Will Reeve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:59 am     Reply with quote

I still have and use the original Microchip ICD (the serial one, bare board with the foam back!) with the CCS ICD firmware, it's slow but seems a lot more robust! I've been through about 5 ICD-U40's but that's usually my handling they don't seem like ground loops though the PC!
bkamen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:50 pm     Reply with quote

Douglas Kennedy wrote:
I've had great success using CCs ICD and the CCS IDE I had a terrible time with MPLAB and the hockey puck ICD that's why I went with CCS.

Weird. It's all I've ever used and it's been just fine.

Plus, if I want to use one of the MCHP Compilers (which I had to recently and in the past) I'm good to go.

-Ben
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: