CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

application of ENC28J60 with dsPIC3xx

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a3ka2000

application of ENC28J60 with dsPIC3xx
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

Dear all,

Have anybody here used ENC28J60 with dsPIC3xx before? I think it's meant for communication with ethernet.

May I know where to start with?

thank you
warm wishes
asmallri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:08 pm     Reply with quote

I have worked with these however I did not use the CCS compiler for this specific processor. I have worked with the ENC28J60 with a PIC18F with the CCS TCP/IP stack for proof of concept but my production products worked with my own stack. I do not know if the CCS examples work with the dsPIC processor (more below).

I have used both the processor and the ENC28J60 using the Microchip C30 compiler but again using my own stack.

If you have a PIC18F8722 or similar class processor then you might want to start with the CCS stack. Once you have this working you could move the the dsPIC. The main challenges you will need to deal with is the low level I/O initialization - this was not handled well with earlier implementation of the PCD compiler however the most current version 4.105 has supposedly addressed some the the SPI related issues.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
a3ka2000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:18 am     Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your reply. I visited the website at the bottom of your post :P.

Btw, is it true to say that ENC28J60 by itself is standalone and do not need any firmware? So, it is the PIC18F that we should spend sweating to do coding?

thanks!

asmallri wrote:
I have worked with these however I did not use the CCS compiler for this specific processor. I have worked with the ENC28J60 with a PIC18F with the CCS TCP/IP stack for proof of concept but my production products worked with my own stack. I do not know if the CCS examples work with the dsPIC processor (more below).

I have used both the processor and the ENC28J60 using the Microchip C30 compiler but again using my own stack.

If you have a PIC18F8722 or similar class processor then you might want to start with the CCS stack. Once you have this working you could move the the dsPIC. The main challenges you will need to deal with is the low level I/O initialization - this was not handled well with earlier implementation of the PCD compiler however the most current version 4.105 has supposedly addressed some the the SPI related issues.
asmallri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

a3ka2000 wrote:

Btw, is it true to say that ENC28J60 by itself is standalone and do not need any firmware? So, it is the PIC18F that we should spend sweating to do coding?

No. The ENC28J60 is a low level Ethernet controller responsible for moving frames between on board packet memory and the Ethernet interface. You instruct the controller what frames to accept off the wire to the packet buffer based on MAC address configuration and filters. It is up to you to send commands to the controller to add packets to the packet buffer from the PIC, extract packets from the packet buffer to the PIC, perform the packet encoding.

From the PICs perspective you need a TCP/IP stack which incorporates the ENC28J60 driver. The TCP/IP stack runs on the PIC and you incorporate your end application with this stack. When you make calls to the TCP/IP stack, the stack drives the ENC28J60.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: