CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Bitmap Decoder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
logical

Bitmap Decoder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:41 am     Reply with quote

Hi Guys/Gals

First things first, I have had a look through the forum to save wasting anyones time but not found what I was looking for.

Basically I am trying to load from a MicroSd Card with Bitmap Images and shift them directly to a low res display ie 160x128 (8bit colour).

No Resize required etc, they will be exactly the correct size/colour depth for the screen.
The only requirement I have is that they have to be BMP rather than raw, sure I could do that with some LCD Application but I am looking at either creating an onchip BMP Decoder or seeing if anyone had already done this.

Processing power wise, got more Pics than sense, anything from 12 to 40Mips.

Thanks

Chris
mbradley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:03 pm     Reply with quote

hope this helps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP_file_format
logical

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

mbradley wrote:
hope this helps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP_file_format

Thanks Michael will give that a try, was trying to avoid redesigning the wheel in case someone had already created that but not a problem, thanks for the link.

Chris
mbradley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:11 am     Reply with quote

Well you should have to do too much since its a simple file format, and no decoding needs to be done. Ans you can pretty much ignore alot of stuff since you already know the exact image size etc....

you just need to open the file, get to the start of data and do a loop.

Curious, how are you getting the bmp into the project? sd card? or can you convert the bmp to C code?
logical

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:22 am     Reply with quote

mbradley wrote:
Well you should have to do too much since its a simple file format, and no decoding needs to be done. Ans you can pretty much ignore alot of stuff since you already know the exact image size etc....

you just need to open the file, get to the start of data and do a loop.

Curious, how are you getting the bmp into the project? sd card? or can you convert the bmp to C code?

Hi Michael,

Been looking at a few ways of doing this, bought some large SPI Ram then kinda figured that a whopping 16MB MicroSd Card would actually be cheaper (people almost give them away) and not much bigger physical size, speed should be decent and will either be running from an 18f4550 or a Powerhouse 24HJ128 running at 40Mips.
Another bonus of this is that if using the 24series which doesn't have USB, customers can just simply eject the MicroSD and plug straight in to the PC.

Will no doubt be a fun project, am actually being quite lazy with it, this system will read 1 of 100 Bitmap Images depending on the ADC input, was going to do it in C but this gives the end user flexibility to change their display by using a BMP Animator spitting the seperate images out as individual files.
Found a pretty good program free of charge which should do that quite well, http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/

Regards

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: