CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

USB HID Serial Number

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davekelly

USB HID Serial Number
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:42 am     Reply with quote

V3.249, PIC 18F4550

I have a hid application, which is working fine.

My system will use several of these device simultaneously, so I want to use the serial number feature to identify each interface.

I can add the serial number manually in the descriptor code, but instead I would like to read the string from eeprom, so that I don't need a different version of firmware for every device.

I am struggling to find the location where the descriptors are sent, so that I can intercept at this point and replace the serial number string with the values as read from eeprom.

Anyone done something similar, or know a better approach?
Bcox

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:10 am     Reply with quote

Hello all,
No one ever replied to this post. i am actually in the same boat as this. I have created an HID device and have the possibility of having multiple of these devices connected to one computer. Right now, I am able to communicate with two devices through my host program on my PC but cannot distinguish which one is which. I could easily serialize these using the #serialize command and have my host program distinguish which device is which by requesting the device to send the serial number to it. Perhaps this will be a better option for me also.

I would like to know if there is a way to set the usb serial number in the descriptor code for a HID device. i am using the usb_desc_hid.h file and modifying to suit my needs. What I can't tell is if using the HID class, the serial number is only defined by Windows and cannot be physically set in the PIC.

I am using a 18F4550 with Compiler V.4.06

Thanks for your help!
davekelly

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:26 am     Reply with quote

I did actually come up with a solution to this, although I subsequently abandoned HID and went to virtual comms instead.

I am just leaving for the day, but will try to dig out what I did next week and post
3PO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

I have the same problem.
How to set serial number on my HID device ?
ELCouz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:08 pm     Reply with quote

3PO since you have problem using the forum search button let's search together okay ?

The second item in the list

and then you have this also:

Third item

ouch that was hard !!! Neutral
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: