CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Help optimizing RAM usage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Futterama

Help optimizing RAM usage
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:56 am     Reply with quote

Hi forum,

I'm using the PIC10F222 which has 23 bytes of RAM.

I'm running low on RAM and I have been reading on how CCS is using the RAM but I would like some help.

I have used 3 bytes as global variables (3 x int8) and 7 bytes variables in main() (1 x int16, 5 x int8 and 3 x int1). This should leave 13 bytes for CCS and me to use.

I have 1 delay_ms() in main, according to the Call Tree, this consumes 1 byte of RAM. I guess this 1 byte is used temporary, right?

Also I have some calculations consuming temporary RAM.

The thing I don't understand, is that when I look at the Call Tree, I only use the 10 bytes permanently, and the rest is temporary (for calculations) but the .lst file says:

Code:
               RAM used: 18 (78%) at main() level
                         23 (100%) worst case

When using calculations, does these behave like functions with local variables? So the RAM is only used temporary?

When calling the function GetFramerate, this also consumes 1 byte of RAM, but I don't pass any variables to the function and it's inline, so I don't understand what that one byte is used for.

Do I need to post all my code, for you guys to help?

Here is the Call Tree:

I'm using version 4.093.

Thanks.
Futterama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:45 am     Reply with quote

Well, I figured out why GetFramerate uses 1 byte RAM, it is because of the while-loops I have in there - a while() apparently uses 1 byte RAM.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:53 am     Reply with quote

Post the first part of your .SYM file. It will show the RAM allocation.
Futterama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:34 am     Reply with quote

Code:
001     TMR0
006.0   GP0
006     GPIO
006.1   GP1
006.2   GP2
006.3   GP3
007.0   ADON
007     ADCON0
007.1   GODONE
007.2   CHS0
007.3   CHS1
007.6   ANS0
007.7   ANS1
008     ADRES
009     @SCRATCH
00A     @SCRATCH
00A     _RETURN_
00B     @SCRATCH
00C     @SCRATCH
00D     @SCRATCH
00F-010 MAIN.TMR0value
011     MAIN.PotValue
012     MAIN.Counter
013     MAIN.BrakeTimes
014     MAIN.Timer
015     MAIN.FrameRate
016     MAIN.PWMhigh
017     MAIN.ActTime
018.0   MAIN.Output1ON
018.1   MAIN.BrakesON
018.2   MAIN.PotHigh
018.3   MAIN.Hyst
019     MAIN.infdb
01A-01B @DIV1616.P1
01A     @DIV88.P2
01A-01B @MUL1616.P3
01A     MAIN.@SCRATCH1
01B     @delay_ms1.P1
01B     @DIV88.P2
01C-01D @DIV1616.P1
01C-01D @MUL1616.P2
01C     @DIV88.@SCRATCH1
01E     @MUL1616.@SCRATCH1
01E     @DIV1616.@SCRATCH1

I'm currently trying to rewrite a part of the code to reduce RAM usage (using a int1 instead of a int8). I have plenty of codespace, so I'm trying to use more code and save RAM this way.
mbradley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

If I may ask, and forgive me I dont want to be someone who just throws things out there...

But could you change chips? use a different PIC?
a jump to a pic12 would offer alot more ram, but 2 extra pins on the footprint.

I ask, becouse I have tried optimizing my code to make it fit a small chip, the project worked great, client bought a reel of chips, programed at the factory, then asked me if I could add a feature. it was too late, not becouse they were programed, we could reflash after assembly, but too late becouse he bought the reel, and a new feature required more space.

Today, I tend to prototype on a larger chip, see what my usage is, then reduce the chip from there, but I try to always stay at a min of 25% free on ram and rom.
Futterama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

mbradley, you have a good point and I also considered this - I realized that EEPROM would come in handy too.

But going from a 6-pin SOT to a 8-pin SOIC would increase my board size by 25% and the device I'm making has to be small. And well, I also bought 200 chips already Laughing

But apart from the EEPROM issue, I have solved my memory problems by optimizing my code. It now uses less RAM, but also more ROM, but the overall program execution speed has increased.

I managed to save so much RAM that I now have 2 bytes free for extra features to come.

I considered this to be a good challenge to write efficient code for the small PIC. Also a PIC12F683 is twice the price of a PIC10F222 at digikey.

Maybe next time I will make a prototype board and completely finish the PIC program before buying chips or mass produce boards.
mbradley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:25 pm     Reply with quote

I kinda work backwards today, I have a few favorite chips I use, and end up putting lots of features in. Then as I scale it down in physical size and prices, my clients just get happier Smile
ckielstra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:07 am     Reply with quote

mbradley wrote:
I kinda work backwards today, I have a few favorite chips I use, and end up putting lots of features in. Then as I scale it down in physical size and prices, my clients just get happier Smile
Yes, that's what I also consider the best way of designing with PIC processors. Do the prototyping from a small selection of the largest processor types available, and then when going to production you can do the optimizations. From the hundreds of processor types available at Microchip this process makes deciding the best fitting processor a lot easier.

Strive to keep 25 to 50% of ROM & RAM and 10% of the I/O pins free in the first prototype for future enhancements that will definitely pop-up.
I've spent way too much time (==money) on optimizing a product that wouldn't have been necessary when we had spent a little bit more on the next larger processor type.
Futterama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:29 am     Reply with quote

Working with PIC's is only a hobby for me, but determining the right chip AFTER the code has been written also applies to me Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: