CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

two tones together..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
piciT

two tones together..
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:58 am     Reply with quote

Hi

i am using the pic16f series, and i want to create 2 tones at the same time.

for example , my pwm can create one wave of 400hz , and i need to create at the same time another 200hz ,in other pwm pin .

it says that i have couple of pwm chanels,but how do i use them together?
is theres any way of doing that ?

thanks.
yerpa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:07 am     Reply with quote

Why not mix the two tones together in your program then output the result to a single PWM channel? For example: compute sample for tone 1, compute sample for tone 2, add them together, scale the result if necessary, then output to PWM. You can mix many tones using this method.
picit

what??
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:48 pm     Reply with quote

what ???

how ??

I know how to produce one square wave with the pwm function.
I have only one timer, so I can't do 2 pwm at the same time anyway.

So how do I produce any other tone at the same time ?
I couldn't understand what exactly you mean...

Program can do only one pwm at a time... isn't it ?
John P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:42 am     Reply with quote

The two PWM outputs can be different duty cycles, but they have to be at the same frequency.

But if you're working in the range of a few hundred Hz, you could use one hardware PWM and generate a second tone with software.
picit

no//
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:53 am     Reply with quote

no i cant use hardware because the tones has to be changed many times.

"yerpa" , what did you mean by:

"compute sample for tone 1, compute sample for tone 2 " ??

i can produce only one freq' at a time.. i need two..
John P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:18 am     Reply with quote

Maybe I wasn't being clear. What I meant by "hardware" was the processor's built-in PWM generator. And the tone produced by "software" would be generated using an interrupt occurring at twice the desired frequency--setting the output high and low alternately.
yerpa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

I setup the PWM channel like this:
Code:

// PWM                       
   setup_ccp1   (CCP_PWM);         
   setup_timer_2(T2_DIV_BY_1, 255, 1);   
   set_pwm1_duty (0x7f);

The PIC's PWM output is low-pass filtered filtered by a cap and resistor to remove the PWM clock frequency which is above audio range anyway. Then just treat it as a regular DAC, writing your output samples sequentially at an audio sample rate. For example, if your current sample is called "audio_sample", then use this line:

Code:

set_pwm1_duty(audio_sample);

Notice that you are changing the PWM duty cycle, not the PWM frequency.

One method you could use to compose your samples is to make a lookup table, say 1024 bytes, with a single cycle of your single-frequency tone. Then, by indexing through the table you can get your sample values. If you increment the index by a different value, you get a different frequency. If you maintain two indexes into the same table, with different increments for each index, then add the two values numerically before outputting the result to the DAC, you will hear the two frequencies superimposed.

This explanation is grossly over simplified. If it still seems confusing, I recommend Hal Chamberlin's book "Musical Applications of Microprocessors". Also Microchip has some appnotes on DTMF (dual tone multi frequency) signal generation.

I hope this helps.
FvM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:34 pm     Reply with quote

You're right, that complex signals (starting with dual tone or any arbitrary waveform) can be only generated by
using a modulation method, e.g. PWM modulation, and of course the PWM frequency has to fulfill the Nyquist criterion,
being higher than twice the highest signal frequency.

Unfortunately all other contributors, also the originator are targetting to "PWM" (= generated by the PIC
PWM output) square waves. Obviously, you can't generate more than one frequency on a pin using this method,
and you're stuck with a rather boring waveform.
piripic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am     Reply with quote

I think yerpa is right. Maybe it is a bit "resource consuming"..but with one PWM, one Timer and some code you're probably done: use a timer and every timer interrupt you increment two tables index (use two different tables and check for roll over), read the tables values, sum them together and scale the result. Load the result into the PWM duty cycle register. Of course the tables must be different in length to obtain two different freq., you must calculate two different table. Maybe it is possible to use only one table and skip some sample on one index. The above method if not for square wave but for sine wave, triangular wave, sawtooth wave.. etc. If you want generate two square wave at a different freq. use two timer with interrupts.

I hope this help,

Claudio
John P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:01 pm     Reply with quote

If you want to generate two square wave at a different freq, use two timers with interrupts.

I don't think that works. What happens when the two timers need to operate at the same instant? Obviously one will block the other, and one wave won't be delivered at the right frequency. It's worst when the two frequencies are close, but not exactly the same.

But if one wave is generated automatically by the processor's PWM output, there only needs to be one timer operating, and that problem doesn't occur.
dbotkin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:38 am     Reply with quote

John P wrote:
I don't think that works. What happens when the two timers need to operate at the same instant? Obviously one will block the other, and one wave won't be delivered at the right frequency.

It depends on how precise you need the outputs to be. At audio frequencies, a little jitter of a few microseconds is probably not going to be a problem. If the two timer interrupts occur at the same time both will be serviced; one will just have to wait until the other is finished. If all you're doing is toggling an output pin, the delay would be pretty small.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: