CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

A good LCD for Tetris game console project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncvnmarket

A good LCD for Tetris game console project
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:39 pm     Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'd like to design a Tetris game using PIC16f877a. I'm still confused which LCD I should choose since there are a lot of LCD types out there. I need a good LCD with cheap price, color support, and easy to write a driver using PIC series.

Thanks
dyeatman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:33 pm     Reply with quote

I think the 16F877a is a really bad choice for this type of project. You would need at least an 18F series with lots of RAM at the highest speed you can get. You might get one of the latest 16F mid-range PICs to work but I think it's a long shot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:44 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation...

I'm working on the LCD driver, so which LCD is the best choice? (black/white LCD is ok)
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:30 am     Reply with quote

Well LCD's either have built in controllers or they don't. A graphics game is going to be about manipulating pixels. So start by deciding the pixels you will need. Now an LCD screen needs refreshing at least 30 times per second.
If the LCD doesn't have an internal controller this will set limits since the PIC isn't that fast. Example 640x480 is 307200 pixels at 30 per sec that's about 9 million per sec so a PIC at 40 mhz wouldn't be fast enough to post the pixels . Anyway you'll need to be more specific about the size of the LCD in pixels and you will need one with a controller built in with graphics RAM and an efficient way to address pixels. A LCD with the T6963 controller might be of use. As for the PIC go with 18F and lots of ram and rom ex 18F8720 and run at least 20mhz
John P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:47 am     Reply with quote

This doesn't use an LCD, but here's a PIC running a Tetris game. It's a PIC16F877A and it was programmed using CCS C. A second PIC delivers the music. I hope it'll encourage you! The building is a model of the tallest building on the MIT campus.

http://blip.tv/file/118509/

If an LCD is what you've decided on, you need one with a built-in controller, unless you're willing to put together a lot of external hardware.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: