CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CDC USB SPEED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
georpo

CDC USB SPEED
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

Hi all!

I am using the ex_usb_serial example and modified it to receive streaming data from the PC.
Code:

while (TRUE) {
      usb_task();
      usb_debug_task();

if (usb_cdc_kbhit()){
   c=usb_cdc_getc();
}
  }

With this way I am waiting for a byte to be sent by the pc and then read it.
From the pc side there is a visual basic program which opens a file in binary mode and sends it byte by byte to the CDC serial port.
All this is working but it takes about 100 seconds for a 100KB file.

Maybe I got this all wrong? Is usb_cdc_kbhit() and usb_cdc_getc() supposed to be only for characters and not for streaming bytes?

In the "usb_desk_cdc.h" file it says:
==============================
Version History:

10/28/05:
Bulk endpoint sizes updated to allow more than 255 byte
packets.
Changed device to USB 1.10
==============================
Finally is this USB 1.1 or USB 2? How can I be sure about the speed?

Any help appreciated.
FvM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Is usb_cdc_kbhit() and usb_cdc_getc() supposed to be only for characters and not for streaming bytes?
Yes, I think so. View the code for usb_cdc_putc() to understand why. Or trace the cdc driver operation with an USB software monitor. Because usb_cdc_putc() calls usb_cdc_flush_out_buffer(), the characters are sent one-by-one.

To increase the throughput, the send buffer must be completely filled before flushing it.
georpo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:03 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for that! I see what you mean..

So, how can I fill the buffer before sending it? Add the bytes on a long string? and how long can this be?

Is there some other method that is more suitable for this job?
Keep in mind that I want to send data from the pc to the pic at higher speed and not the opposite.

I just saw "usb_put_packet" command but I cannot find any documentaion.

Please help.
FvM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

Basically you can add data to usb_cdc_put_buffer without flushing it, as long there's still room.
georpo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:55 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you for the support.

Can you please show me an example of how to receive streaming data with usb_get_packet? Where is the packet stored? In some type of variable int8[10] or something?

What do you mean flushing?
Is usb_get_packet supposed to work with cdc?

I guess that I have it correct from the pc side. I will keep sending a stream of bytes over the virtual com port.

Finally what is the best method to send large files to my pic at full speed?
CDC? HID?
FvM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:11 pm     Reply with quote

I don't think, that usb_get_packet() can be used with cdc, or at least not easily. There should be no throughput problem with usb_cdc_getc(). I know, that cdc can be used near to the maximum USB full speed throughput, but I didn't yet try with the CCS cdc driver.

Also HID performance isn't worse. Both are often preferred, because they use built-in drivers at the PC side, HID even without any *.inf file for installation. But a user bulk mode driver can further reduce the overhead on the PC side.
georpo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:41 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the help FvM.

So is there anyone who can help me send a file to the PIC at full speed?
Rohit de Sa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:26 am     Reply with quote

georpo:

What exactly are you working on? USB-CDC isn't really great for fast communications. As mentioned by FvM, raw bulk mode is faster. The CDC class uses bulk mode, but it carries with it a lot of overheads. This apart, I have found that CDC causes several different terminal programs to sometimes gag. Even a GUI written in VB hung when the CDC data rate was increased.

I've written a simple program which uses raw bulk mode. It's based on the oscope demo provided in the CCS examples folder. I haven't measured exactly, but the raw mode certainly allows for much higher transport speeds, and this increase is viewable 'visually' through my GUI (don't really know how accurate this is - I don't know absolute speeds, but relative to CDC, the raw mode is about 5-6 times faster).

My GUI was first written in VB, and later in LabVIEW. I'm willing to share test implementations of both, the CCS code and the LabVIEW vi. Send me a private message with your email if you'd like them.

Rohit
georpo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:03 am     Reply with quote

Well, here is what I have:

I want to send wav files to my pic board through USB. so, I used the ex_usb_serial example to receive data.

From the PC side I have a VB program which reads the file and sends it to the USB with the CDC virtual com port using the mscomm control.

Yesterday I tried to first fill a byte array with 512 bytes and then send this array to the CDC port. This speeds up things a lot. Now, I can transfer 5MBytes in about 45 seconds but this is still too slow for full 12Mbps speed . Right?
I am afraid that this :c=usb_cdc_getc(); gives me the bytes one by one because it is supposed to receive characters and not sreaming data but I am not sure.

As about bulk mode I am not really an expert in USB actually this is the first time I try this and I can definitely not write a USB driver or something like that for the PC. I have to stick with the working examples of CDC.
If you have a better idea please share with me.

p.s (is 512 bytes the right buffer size for CDC?)

Many thanks to everybody!

georpo@freemail.gr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: