CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Project Files and Project Management Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grifcj

Project Files and Project Management Problems
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:44 am     Reply with quote

I'm using CCS IDE and PCH compiler v4.041. I have experience with several other IDEs, but I'm just starting with CCS.

I'm having difficulty with creating and editing projects and project files. I'll just list my issues one by one here.

1) Are multiple compilation units supported yet? When I click them on under project options, they never stick. No big deal - I can work with one .c file; it'd just be nice to have a clear yes/no. From what I've seen, most of the relevant forum posts are about a year old on this issue. If it's not working, may I suggest all interface options dealing with multiple compilation units be greyed out.

2) Is there an errata list for the IDE and compiler? It'd be nice not to have to spend hours dinking around myself and searching on a forum to discover that certain program features simply don't work, or worse, don't work the way I've assumed them to work.

3) Even though multiple compilation units cannot be turned on, I can still add extra .c files to my project by clicking the green plus under the files view. However, I cannot then remove these additional files by clicking the red minus sign adjacent to it. Even IF I delete the project, somehow CCS remembers these extra files and resurrecting them when I recreate a project with the same name. First, why does the remove button not work? Second, why is CCS remembering deleted projects. When I delete a project, I want CCS to keep no memory of it.

4) Is there a "Getting Started" guide, i.e. the usual tutorial that comes with most IDEs that walks you step by step through setting up your first project. I'm not sure if I need it at this point, but it would have been nice to initially have. I wasn't aware of the single .c file/no external linker issue when I began. I've looked through all the help available through the help menu; I don't think it contains such a thing.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

You could use the latest version of MPLAB as the IDE and skip the
CCS IDE bugs in vs. 4.041.
grifcj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:24 pm     Reply with quote

I'm kind of stuck with the ICD-U40 programmer/debugger. It is my understanding that this won't work with MPLAB? If I have to jump ship on the CCS/ICD-U40 configuration, it'll probably be to a TI MSP430 kit that I have, rather than purchase another debugger and move over to MPLAB (e.g. PICKit 3).

Thank you very much for the reply though. I think at least you're confirming for me that there are bugs and it isn't just me or my computers.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

I don't have the CCS IDE version of the compiler, but I do recall they
were doing large numbers of IDE fixes for quite a while after vs. 4 was
released. You have a relatively early version.
grifcj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:54 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, it looks like the current version is 4.099.

http://www.ccsinfo.com/compilerupdates.php

I'll see what I can do about getting an updated version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: