CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

GSM getting started...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojos

GSM getting started...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:53 am     Reply with quote

Hello. I am new to gsm modules. I wanted to ask some general questions:

1)I want to control a Gsm module (Samed Hilo NC) from my PC through RS232 adapter but in the same I want to be able to send AT commands from a microcontroller. Is that possible? If yes how would it be the connection? Will I have to put a MAX232 for the pc to gsm module communication and another Max232 for the PIC to gsm module communication ?

2)Is there a way of sending an SMS like "Make Set port 1 as output" and then this sms to be converted to the appropriate AT command (so I can create a user friendly control environment for the gsm module)? If yes, does this way involve a microcontroller in the way that when gsm module receives an sms, then the microcontroller receives that sms and converts it to an AT command and then back to gsm module ?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the lengthy query.
bkamen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

It sounds like you haven't read any of the datasheets.

The answers to your questions are a definite probably with the caveats of some maybes.

This forum is specifically for users designing embedded microcontroller projects coded with CCS's PIC-C.

If you need specific design assistance with a GSM module, your best bet is to contact the maker of the module.

Cheers,

-Ben

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:14 am     Reply with quote

I read some datasheets already but it is too much data.Gues i will have to choose the best of them.I agree this is a CCS forum sorry.Ok then as for the PIC part of my project is it possible to use the RS232 of the gsm module
with the computers RS232 and the PIC's RS232?I mean can i connect together computers RS232 and PIC's RS232?Thank you
bkamen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:10 am     Reply with quote

a couple of years ago, I designed a GSM & Microntroller remote sensing gizmo for someone.

So yes, it's possibly for a PIC with a UART via RS232 (possibly without level shifters depending on the type of interface on the GSM module).

As for having a PC control the PIC which controls the module, yes. For best performance, you'd want a PIC with 2 UARTS like the PIC18FxxJ11 series or maybe the J60 series -- or dive into the high performance PIC24 series which have upwards of 4 UARTs on a single PIC.

As for there being "too much" datasheet to read -- Welcome to technology! It has to be read though and you the designer has to read it.

-Ben

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:00 am     Reply with quote

thank you bkamen for the help. I think i will go to the 18fxx option .
bkamen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds good. Look for the 18FxxJ11 options. They have 2 UARTs in a low (manageable) pin-count.

If you're not a surface mount soldering kinda guy, you'll want a DIP version. The J11 series has one in a 28pin DIP.

-Ben
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: