CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

16f684 adc

View previous topic :: View next topic  

16f684 adc
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:44 pm     Reply with quote

I'm new to working with the built in ADC, and I have a few questions before I run my program on my 16f684 PIC.

First, when setting up the ADC, I noticed in other peoples code, they use:
Code:

setup_adc_ports(sAN6 | VSS_VDD);

Why is it necessary to set the VDD and VSS pins as analog? Is this simply using the VSS/VDD pins in place of VREF?

The ladder would be:
Code:

setup_adc_ports(sAN6 | VSS_VREF);

Which I'm assuming would use the VREF pin for reference instead of VDD. Is this correct?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:22 am     Reply with quote

The place to start, is the processor .h file, where the constants used in such functions are defined. This, first shows you what options are available, and secondly, usually has a 'comment', to explain what the options do. So, for your 'VSS_VREF' definition, if you look in this file, you find the comment:

// Range 0-VrefH

While VSS_VDD, has the comment:

// Range 0-Vdd

So, the answer is 'yes'.

The 'reason' for the nomenclature chosen, actually has to do with other chips, where both VrefH, and VrefH are settable, so on these, you will have more options, like:

VSS_VDD
VREF_VDD
VSS_VREF
VREF_VREF

Allowing the four possible permutations, using either the corresponding VREF pin, or the supply, for each 'end' of the ADC range. On your chip, these are not available (the processor's data sheet, shows what options can be selected).

If you are using an external Vref, be sure to look at the DC characteristics, table 15-9, items A20, and A20A, in the data sheet.

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:38 am     Reply with quote

Great, that was exactly what I needed to know! Thanks.

Which would bring up my next question: My operating voltage range for the analog input is 1.6V-2.4V, and the VDD pin on the pic is being powered by 5V. Would it be correct to use the VDD pin as my VREF? Or would it be recommended to use the VERF pin powered @ 2.5V?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:54 am     Reply with quote

You would potentially double the resolution using 2.5v, and 2.5v, is the minimum useable on this chip to give full 10bit resolution. A good choice.
Also the 'odds' are that a 2.5v bandgap reference will be more stable/accurate than the supply, improving things further.
You could obviously improve things further, by 'preprocessing' the signal with an op-amp.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: