CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ADC and choosing the right clock, e.g. ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evsource

ADC and choosing the right clock, e.g. ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:40 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

I really did look around the forum for this answer. I didn't seem to find any concise explanations. This one did answer some questions: https://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=54621

Ttelmah said in one post that using ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL doesn't produce the greatest results. I've always used that, but if there's a reason to use something like ADC_CLOCK_DIV_16, then I'd like to understand why.

I do understand that ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL uses a clock that the ADC has built in (RC), and that it can be used to take AD readings while the chip is asleep. But what would dictate choosing, say, ADC_CLOCK_DIV_16 vs ADC_CLOCK_DIV_2?

What reasons other than needing to read while asleep would there be for not using the chip's clock?

Finally, what are the values like these used for: ADC_TAD_MUL_4, etc.?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:14 pm     Reply with quote

Read then data sheet for YOUR pic.

Usually there is a TABLE of master clock vs optimum divisor for ADC operation.

Pick the fastest one that does not go beyond the recommendation.

Pretty EZ if you read the specs.

That's how I select it.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:53 am     Reply with quote

On the ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL, again it is in the data sheet. The 'problem' is that when you select the internal clock, it is asynchronous to the chips own clock, so you will get a 'beating' effect of noise from the chips other operations. This is why you will find under the clock frequency selection table, a 'note', usually reading something like:
"When the device frequencies are greater than 1 MHz, the RC A/D conversion clock source is only recommended for SLEEP operation."

Basically, at low frequencies, the clock is faster than the instruction cycle, so there isn't much of a problem. However as the clock gets faster, accuracy _will_ be degraded, so you have two choices:

1) Use the Fosc/N clocks (fastest one selected as outlined by the previous poster), which are then synchronous to the processor's instruction clock.
2) Put the processor to sleep for the conversion - this is the 'best' solution for accuracy, since it reduces noise significantly.

The code needed, is something like:
Code:

disable_interrupts(GLOBAL);
//You also need to disable any interrupts in use here.
enable_interrupts(INT_ADC);
clear_interrupts(INT_ADC); //ensure interrupt is clear
read_adc(ADC_START_ONLY); //trigger the ADC conversion
sleep(); //Processor will sleep until INT_ADC triggers
delay_cycles(1); NOP instruction
val=read_ADC(ADC_READ_ONLY); //get the ADC result
disable_interrupts(INT_ADC);
//Now re-enable any other interrupts in use, and the global flag if required

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: