CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Is there any Coating Thickness Measurement Sensor?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bideshm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 am     Reply with quote

Hi All,

I know that this topic should not be discussed here but I have been searching Google for last two days finding out a coating thickness measurement sensor only. I am sorry again.

I Would you like let you know that I am looking for a coating thickness measurement sensor for ferrous and non-ferrous substances (like other sensor such as temp, pressure etc) which would be connected to my micro controller board. The board will direct the sensor for data reading and eventually communicate the data to a connected PC through serial port.

I got numerous OEM device which reads the coating thickness and using their software only communicate to PC through RS232 interface. The problem is the application software works in a predefined manner.

I want to write an application software if possible the firmware too for reading the coating thickness on ferrous and non-ferrous substance.

I would like to know that;
A) Is there any product/device with coating thickness measurement sensor which has RS232 interface?
B) Can I see the value of the reading at real time using windows HyperTerm software?
C) Is there only the coating thickness measurement sensor available without total solution?

Thanks for your time and reply in advance.

Regards,
BideshM
gomond

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

BideshM

My background is mechanical and electronic engineering so I come across these issues all the time.

What is your requirement in more detail?

If you just want to measure the thickness prior to coating Vs after coating then you just purchase a cheap digital micrometer with serial output connector.
Then you can interface this to your PIC serial port.

Most cheap Chinese ones these days have it as an undocumented feature and you just look for a strange small cover that slides off with a series of contacts inside.
Or better still buy one with a documented interface.

Otherwise Peperl & Fuchs, Sick or many others have very sensitive ultrasonic distance sensors that may do the job.

Or just fabricate your own using a strain gauge and a spring loaded plunger.

There are many lateral approaches to solving this issue, it just requires a firm understanding of how you want it measured.

Cheers

Greg.
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:00 pm     Reply with quote

In ship inspections we measure paint thickness on steel with an inductive probe made by Fischer. It is quite expensive and the serial interface is a real pain.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

SherpaDoug,

Just out of curiousity, on what principal does the paint thickness probe operate? Is it acoustic, or RF based, or something else? What is it really measuring?

Tom
FvM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:10 am     Reply with quote

Most popular techniques are inductive proxmity and ultrasonic sensors. You'll find a huge amount of information under "coating thickness measurement" on the internet.
bideshm

RE:Is there any Coating Thickness Measurement Sensor?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:11 am     Reply with quote

Hi All,

I want to measure coating thickness of chromium electroplating using any digital coating thickness gauge and then want to transmit the data to a PC for logging purpose. The data transmission can be done using RS232 interface to PC which most of this devices has.

I have got one of this device in my place. Please refer to the below link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29743108@N00/3946756937/

What I would like to know whether these kind of devices have any standard format of data transmission?

The device I have selected "Metrix COAT MEASURER~P" has its own PC application software. I want to write the PC application software by myself rather than using supplied software with the device.

I would also like to know whether these kind of devices have any standard baud rate for serial data transmission over COM port?

Thanking You,
Bidesh
FvM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:00 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
whether these kind of devices have any standard baud rate
Most likely.
Quote:
whether these kind of devices have any standard format of data transmission
I won't expect a standard. An industrial instrument should use a documented format in my opinion. Ask the manufacturer or distributor. At least, it's unlikely that they use encryption. You should be able to figure out the data format.
bideshm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:11 am     Reply with quote

Hi FvM,

Thanks for your reply.

There is no soft copy of the manual for the device. When I purchase the device I will get the manual as hard copy format.

Maybe there I can find some more information regarding baud rate and transmitted data format.

If I face any problem reading the data, I would like to ask you again.

Thanking You,
gomond

Possble option.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:38 pm     Reply with quote

Hi bideshm

I am just leaving for work but I read your latest message.

Please have a look at:

http://www.migatron.com/products/rps-412a-v-1/index.htm

This sensor has similar characteristics as the one used on the instrument that you have shown.

Cheers Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: