CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

detecting rising edge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobby_85

detecting rising edge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:44 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to do the follows. When the input of a certain pin (say PIN X) goes high, I would like to start the PIC timer till the input of another pin (say PIN Y) goes high.

Because the time is critical in my application, I would like to start the timer when the PIC encounters the first rising edge of the signal of PIN X and stop when it detects the first rising edge of PIN Y.

I know how to use the input(pinX) command, but is there a way I can detect the rising edge? I need the timing to be as accurate as possible because I am trying to measure the time difference of arrival between a RF signal and a ultrasonic one. From what I have read, the best way would be to create an interrupt and start the timer then.

What commands should I be looking into? Also, I what is the most accurate way I can set the timer so it detects the TDOA of two very fast signals?

Any help would be great...thanks!
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:29 am     Reply with quote

See these example programs:
Quote:

c:\program files\picc\examples\ex_pulse.c
c:\program files\picc\examples\ex_ccpmp.c
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:32 am     Reply with quote

CCP.

This is the best way to do what you want.
This is a hardware module in most PICs (you will need to choose one that has it), with a whole range of abilities to do with timing, and pulse generation. One ability, is to capture the reading on an internal counter (normally Timer1, but some of the PIC18's also allow Timer3 to be used), when an 'event' occurs. The events can be programmed to be the rising edge, or falling edge, on the CCP pins.
Accuracy will far exceed any software solution.

Look in the examples, at EX_CCPMP.C

In this, the two CCP modules are used. One to record when a signal rises, and the other when it falls. Each time a CCP records a value, there is an interrupt, and the code uses the second interrupt, on the falling edge, then subtracts the rising edge count, from the falling edge count, to give the pulse width. The same signal is fed to both CCP pins.
In your case, you simply connect your two signals to the two pins, and program the second CCP, to also use the rising edges (in the example, it is programmed to use the falling edge).

Best Wishes
hobby_85

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:45 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
CCP.

This is the best way to do what you want.
This is a hardware module in most PICs (you will need to choose one that has it), with a whole range of abilities to do with timing, and pulse generation. One ability, is to capture the reading on an internal counter (normally Timer1, but some of the PIC18's also allow Timer3 to be used), when an 'event' occurs. The events can be programmed to be the rising edge, or falling edge, on the CCP pins.
Accuracy will far exceed any software solution.

Look in the examples, at EX_CCPMP.C

In this, the two CCP modules are used. One to record when a signal rises, and the other when it falls. Each time a CCP records a value, there is an interrupt, and the code uses the second interrupt, on the falling edge, then subtracts the rising edge count, from the falling edge count, to give the pulse width. The same signal is fed to both CCP pins.
In your case, you simply connect your two signals to the two pins, and program the second CCP, to also use the rising edges (in the example, it is programmed to use the falling edge).

Best Wishes

Hey, thanks!
Ill have a crack at it and keep you posted.
hobby_85

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:16 am     Reply with quote

hey,

I read the program, and yes, it makes sense. Thanks for the heads up. Just a quick question. My pic, 16f690, has only one ccp pin. What then?

thanks
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:07 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up. Just a quick question. My pic, 16f690,
has only one ccp pin.

See this thread:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31470

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:51 am     Reply with quote

hey pcm, thanks for the link. Are you suggesting i feed both signals into the ccp pin and work out the pulse width? I didnt think of that. Will the ccp timer be fast enough to capture the tdoa of a rf and us signal? What if the two signals comes right after one another such that that there is no time for the signal to go low and high again?
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

Post the time interval that you expect to be measuring.

Also, post the source of the signal(s). What device is producing them ?
hobby_85

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:56 pm     Reply with quote

PCM programmer wrote:
Post the time interval that you expect to be measuring.

Also, post the source of the signal(s). What device is producing them ?

There is going to be 2 devices producing each signal. So one is the HT12D chip, which gives a HIGH when it receives a valid transmittion (VT) and the other is my ultrasonic receiver, which goes through a comparator which in turn goes HIGH when a certain threshold is passed. So one HIGH for arrival of RF and another HIGH for arrival of US.

In terms of interval, I would say extremely small. My intention is to send a RF signal and a US signal at the same time from across the room and for the receiver to pick up the TDOA of the 2 signals. So as you can imagine, probably microseconds, maybe even smaller. This is just an estimate. Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks heaps.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:12 pm     Reply with quote

If you want to capture a small interval, such as less than a microsecond,
then you should use a PIC with two CCPs with a 20 MHz crystal.
hobby_85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:05 am     Reply with quote

PCM programmer wrote:
If you want to capture a small interval, such as less than a microsecond,
then you should use a PIC with two CCPs with a 20 MHz crystal.

Hey PCM, thanks for that. Unfortunately, I have no choice but to use the 16F690 for the time being.

I have also done some research and it seems that the intervals that I should be expecting would be in the milliseconds. Given that the pic16f690 has an internal clock of 20Mhz, do you think if I can connect one input to the ccp and the other to any other input, it should capture microsecond level intervals pretty easy?
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

There is going to be 2 devices producing each signal. So one is the
HT12D chip, which gives a HIGH when it receives a valid transmittion
(VT) and the other is my ultrasonic receiver, which goes through a
comparator which in turn goes HIGH when a certain threshold is passed.
So one HIGH for arrival of RF and another HIGH for arrival of US.

You have two separate devices, each producing a signal. You only have
one CCP input pin on the 16F690. How do you propose to connect these
two separate signals to the one pin ? You haven't explained that.
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:20 pm     Reply with quote

Are you trying to determine range by comparing time of flight of a radio signal and an ultrasonic signal? If so can you consider the radio signal as instantaneous and just measure the time of the ultrasonic with one counter?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

One obvious suggestion. Use a set/reset latch.
Connect the first signal to the 'set' pin, and the second the the 'reset' pin. Then feed the output to the single CCP. The pulse width is what you want.

Best Wishes
hobby_85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:56 am     Reply with quote

SherpaDoug wrote:
Are you trying to determine range by comparing time of flight of a radio signal and an ultrasonic signal? If so can you consider the radio signal as instantaneous and just measure the time of the ultrasonic with one counter?

Yes I am trying to find range...

But I need the arrival of the RF signal to determine when to start the timer. My RX and TX are two separate units, so if I just send a US pulse out from one side, I cant tell how long it took to get to the other side without the RF as some kind of reference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: