CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

RF with PIC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobby_85

RF with PIC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:05 am     Reply with quote

Hey,

I recently bought this 433kHz transmitter and receiver module. Its the common one, where the transmitter has 3 pins and the receiver has 8. I also bought the encoder and decoder..HT12E and HT12D. I believe having the encoder and decoder saves alot of hassle.

Having done some research, I somewhat know how to connect the lot together, but am having difficulty in writing appropriate code.

Ideally, I want to learn some basics, so i figure just transmitting a simple AA from the TX to the RX which in turns lights up an LED should be fun. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I don't mind reading manuals/papers/tutorials/pseudo code even.

Thanks heaps.

If it helps, I'm using a 16f690 for the TX and 16f688 for the RX. (only had one of each!)
hobby_85

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:13 am     Reply with quote

hey all,

I found a tutorial on the web and will probably have some code up and running in a bit. I was just wondering if it was possible to have a PIC connected to the wireless RF and a RS232 running to the PC at the same time?

If the pic's rx/tx pins are being used for the RF, what pins are used to transmit via the rs232 cable?

thanks
bkamen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:44 am     Reply with quote

Yes, you can, You can use Software RS232 --- but like FedEx, if it absolutely, positively has to "be there on time" (bit-wise), use a PIC with 2 RS232 ports.

a PIC18FxxJ11 would work nice. It has 2 UARTS and would solve that AND comes in low pin-count packages.

They are 3.3V operation though, so read the datasheet carefully.

-Ben

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:39 am     Reply with quote

ive only got the picket 2 development board, so i dont think i can program a 18f pic. Im out at the moment, so ill check the data sheet when i get home to make sure. What would be the other method/option and how much delay would i encounter? I need the rf to be accurate and the 232 can have a slight delay. Can i use 2 pics instead? I need to capture the time of arriva of the rf signal and send it to the pc.
FvM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:56 am     Reply with quote

If your RF modules are intended for operation with Holtek encoder/decoder chips, they are using a manchester encoded modulation interface rather than providing an UART connection.

They can be connected to a PIC, but you have to understand how to generate and decode manchester coded signals.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:25 am     Reply with quote

FvM wrote:
If your RF modules are intended for operation with Holtek encoder/decoder chips, they are using a manchester encoded modulation interface rather than providing an UART connection.

They can be connected to a PIC, but you have to understand how to generate and decode manchester coded signals.
sorry, ive never used rf before so im playin catch up here. The rf kits i bought dont need the encoder or decoder. I just bought it because from what ive read, its easier with them. So your saying that with the encoder/ decoder, i can connect the rf to any IO pin of the pic, as long as i learn manchester coding? Thanks mate.
hobby_85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:03 am     Reply with quote

Hey, I found this page on the ccs forum, giving a sort c code for the single link transmitter/receiver module. Its the exact thing I bought. However, it doesn't look like he used an encoder/decoder. Can someone explain why its working without him using one? Is it because he's using the USART thing of the PIC. So, if I were to be using the Holtek 12e/d, does that mean I don't have to use the USART? Which essentially means that I can connect my PIC to the PC using the rs232 while my rf can be put into any of the other I/O pins.

Or have I got it all completely wrong?

http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33498&highlight=trasmitter

For my purpose, I need to have 1 transmitter speaking to several receivers.

Thanks heaps
FvM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:10 am     Reply with quote

The cheap 433 MHz RF modules, that are mentioned in the said link, are typically using AM (ASK) and involve no further coding/decoding of the data, see e.g.:
http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Wireless/General/MO-RX3400.pdf The above datasheet specifies a data output duty cycle of 40-60% at 1 kbps data rate. An arbitrary coded UART data stream has 10-90% in contrast and thus can't be reproduced by this receiver module, I think. Usually manchester coding is used to achieve a DC free (50% duty cycle) bit stream, additionally preamble and sync characters are used to allow settling of the receiver AGC.

I've read suggestions to send 4 bits (inverted + non-inverted) per UART frame as a manchester-like coding. This works well on the transmitter side, but the bit synchronisation on receiver side is still a problem, the solution can't keep up with a true manchester decoder.

The Holtek chips have hardware manchester encoder/decoder, but they only provide parallel bits to connect "switches and lamps" and no UART interface. Although you can connect a processor to the Holtek parallel IOs, they are not particular suited for data communication.

Perhaps other forum members can share their experience about simple methods to interface AM RF modules. I only used FM transmitters with true manchester coding at higher data rates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: