CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

TLV5620 DAC design analog connection to pic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddorling

TLV5620 DAC design analog connection to pic
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:18 am     Reply with quote

Hi
The TLV5620 is a popular low cost 4 channel 8 bit DAC. When interfacing the outputs to the analog inputs of a pic is it necessary to use a load resistor (10k) to ground on each channel or can it be left out and made a straight connect. Maybe one of you EE folk would know. How would you make the connection to the pic and what is the reason.

THNXS
ddorling
mkuang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:47 am     Reply with quote

The datasheet doesn't seem to suggest a 10k resistor. Usually the output of a DAC just connects straight to the analog input of a PIC. Where did you get the resistor idea?
ddorling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:24 pm     Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your response
In the datasheet for the TLV5620
SLAS110B – JANUARY 1995 – REVISED APRIL 1997

fig12 shows an output buffering scheme having the TLV output connected to a voltage follower. A 10k load resistor to ground is connected to the TLV output. I don't know the electrical difference between the + op amp input and the analog input but I made a wild assumption that what is good for the op amp is good for the analog input. I thought maybe the analog input likes to see a running current. I also thought that maybe it would help in protecting the analog input from over current strain in the case when it is set up as a digital input before the app is initialized or when debugging the app. I have used both ways for much time and haven't had any trouble. The purpose of my question is for commiting to a production design and four less resistors is great in anyones $book. So is there any electrical basis for keeping them in the design. From your response I'm hedging toward NO, trash them.
mkuang

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:23 am     Reply with quote

The functional block diagram shows that the outputs are already buffered. However, each channel can only drive a 10k load which means it can only sink or source 1mA of current. If you want to drive a more hefty load then you can use the scheme shown in figure 12, otherwise just connect the output directly to the PIC.
ddorling

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:31 am     Reply with quote

Hi
Yes, that makes perfect electrical sense. Thanks for clearing up that point for me.
best wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: