CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Ohms to temperature formula for PT-100 RTD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dazza

Ohms to temperature formula for PT-100 RTD
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:45 pm     Reply with quote

Hi all,

Sorry for the slightly off topic thread, but does anyone know of a formula to convert ohms to temperature for a PT-100 rtd please?

I've found a formula which converts great for around -30 to +100 Deg C but need -100 to +100.

I need an accuracy of 0.01 Deg C in the conversion!.

Oh i really want to avoid look-up tables if i can Confused

Cheers!
Darren
Neutone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:46 pm     Reply with quote

Look in this PDF in the section that refers to "callender van dusen"
http://myweb.lsbu.ac.uk/~khayatej/ASEE2000.pdf

The resolution you want is not very difficult but the accuracy is. You might have to use floating point math with more than 6.5 significant digits.

Using only a second order polynomial you can model the responce of an RTD from -30C to 100C with no noticable error. Below -30 and a fourth order polynomial is required to model the responce curve. If you run some numbers based on a typical probe you can see what the difference results will be with a second order formula aginst a fourth order one.
valemike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:18 pm     Reply with quote

I've done temperature calibration in the past using the simple slope/yintercept formula:
y=mx+b

x = temperature in F
y = a/d counts

Use a micromite and apply two reference temperatures, preferably over a linear region. Okay, so you now have two sets of x and y. Solve for the slope (m) and y-intercept (b).

Everytime you take readings later on, apply the formula:
x = (y-b) / m
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even with formulas, if you're not calibrated, the theoretical formulas can throw you several degrees off.
TSchultz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:39 am     Reply with quote

There are a few items you are going to have a very good handle on to get anywhere near that kind of accuracy/resolution. The biggest one will the the current excitation for the RTD, there is a trade-off between getting "resonable" signal to measure and self-heating of the element itself. If my faulty memory serves me correctly the thin film 100ohm RTD have an upper limit of 1mA of excitation current, the wire-wound elements have higher limits. You should keep well below this limit to have negligable self-heating effects.

If you are allowed to change the sensor I would suggest a 1K RTD, at least this gives you 10X the resistance change for a given temperature change. If you can't change from the 100ohm RTD, then another technique that is often used is to excite with a higher current, and low duty cycle. This give a larger signal to measure, and if enough care is taken then the self-heating effects are not a problem.

I really like the platinum RTD's but there is a great deal of "care and feeding" involved to get truly accurate measurements.

One of the best approaches I have used is the LTC2400 series of sigma-delta ADC chips running with 2 channels, one to "measure" the excitation and the other to measure the actual sensor. The great dynamic range of the ADC means you can get away from the amplifiers, and thus much of the inherent noise/errors on the front end. The self-calibration/zeroing of these ADC's then gives you really good measurments to work with. This is not a perfect solution, but one that does work very well to get good resolution and accuracy, assuming you can calibrate the actual temperature measurement to an absolute reference. The absolute calibration may not be so important depending on your final application.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

temp=(measured resistance - 100) / .384
asmallri

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:48 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
temp=(measured resistance - 100) / .384

Not quite. There are a few different standards for PT100 sensors with slightly differing transfer characteristics. You need to check the transfer characteristic for the sensor.

Quote:
I need an accuracy of 0.01 Deg C in the conversion!.

Did you mean accuracy or resolution?

If you meant accuracy, then how do you intend to certify the calibration as this is outside the range of most accredited calibration facilities.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
SLF

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:14 am     Reply with quote

The best formula I think is to calculate with the steinhart-hart equation. Perfect for unlinear Temperature Sensors.
You only have to use more Calibration Points that the accuracy is good.
PICoHolic

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:30 am     Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone have a reference design for the PT-100 RTD. How to interface it?

Thanks
asmallri

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:36 am     Reply with quote

Microchip have application notes for intefacing with these sensors.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
FvM

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:44 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
The best formula I think is to calculate with the steinhart-hart equation. Perfect for unlinear Temperature Sensors.

Pt100 characteristics are defined as polynominals in the respective standards, and they are also the obvious method to implement a linerization for this sensor type. Steinhart-hart is good for sensors with basically exponential characteristic, but Pt100 are almost linear, with a small residual error term.

It's easy to fit a polynominal for a given temperature range and required accuracy, also for the reverse t = f(r) function.
sirius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:40 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
It's easy to fit a polynominal for a given temperature range and required accuracy, also for the reverse t = f(r) function.

Please, give me a hint for t = f(r) for t<0C. The equation is :
Code:
 Rt = Ro * (1 + A*t + B * t^2 + C * t^3 * (t - 100))

For t > 0 is easy - have to solve just a quadratic equation, not a big deal. But for t < 0 the equation becomes quartic and requires a lot of computational power and time. I don't need a source, just to solve the equation mathematically, as simple as possible. There are a lot of methods for solving the equation, but I'm looking for the most adequate for this case. Thank you!
FvM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:22 am     Reply with quote

In my opinion, the most adequate solution is to fit a polynominal for the reversed function to a Pt100 resistance table. You can choose the temperature range of the fit to get optimal accuracy for your application. The acceptable temperature error determines the required polynominal order.

A spreadsheet program as Excel can be used to calculate the fit.
Code:
t = b0+r*(b1+r*(b2+r*b3));
meereck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:16 am     Reply with quote

some info can also be found in Analog Devices AN-709
sirius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:28 am     Reply with quote

Thank You a lot! Both of You! You were very helpful. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: