CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

GPS interfacing with PIC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neetronic

GPS interfacing with PIC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:22 am     Reply with quote

Hello Coders Idea ,
I am working on a project wich requires interacing of GPS with a PIC.
The GPS chip has a serial RS232 interface. I new to using CCS and PIC.
I am using Proteus for simulation.
The GPS NMEA protocol will go on sending 78 bytes out of wich GPGLL. How to deal with the refresh rate....means the data at the RC7 pin
of PIC18F4680 will go on updating. Then were should we store the recieved data. I want display each update at the LCD display at real time.
The data can be stored in the memory....how to synchronise it with the memory storage and LCD display
Do Reply soon ..this my first post in CCS..working with PIC is
gr8
dyeatman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:44 am     Reply with quote

Being new to this board, the first thing you need to learn how to use is the Search feature. Your question has been asked a lot here and a search should get you started.
Neetronic

GPS interfacing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:07 am     Reply with quote

ya found the search after posting .
But there is no search on refresh rate of GPS chip specifically.
Can u send sample code be posted here if u know it.
Also is it necessary to use the
Code:
#int_RDA
void RDA_isr(void)
{

}

service routine when working with RS232 to see that RBUF register is full?
dyeatman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

Your having provided little to go on I would advise using the UART interrupt routine to minimize interference with other things you are going to be doing. If you use EEPROM it has a significant write delay that would likely cause RS232 problems if you do not use interrupts. You would initially store the data in a ram buffer for analysis then store the final results in non-volatile storage if your project requires it. The type of LCD would define the interface requirements.

Many GPS receivers have programmable data update and RS232 baud rates and you will need to get these things from the GPS data sheet. Read the data sheet and use search on this board to learn how to use RS232 interrupt driven receive. The receivers commonly update at once per second so you need to plan on a data stream coming from the GPS once per second.

You will have to do the research. Everything is here for all that you want to do but you will need to put some time into finding the info and assembling the program. Search on the words EEPROM and LCD to find LOTS of examples in this forum. Also look in the Code Library. Since you are in a rush apparently it's a school project and you should be doing the work rather than us....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: