CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

(Yet another) quick ADC question, 18LF8722

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eskachig

(Yet another) quick ADC question, 18LF8722
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:58 pm     Reply with quote

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, this is an awesome forum with a huge wealth of information and it's been a giant help to me - I'm a total n00b when it comes to microcontrollers. I have a couple of slightly theoretical questions.

I'm using a DLP design board DLP-245PL-G with a 18LF8722 microcontroller. It's advertized as a 24 Mhz setup - meaning that it has a 6Mhz crystal that can be used to drive the PIC at 24Mhz with PLL.

The datasheet for the PIC says that 22Mhz is max for this low power model. I know PICs in general are pretty resiliant when it comes to some slight overclocking, but am I going to have any trouble? To complicate matters more it looks like we're providing full 5V to run it, instead of the minimum 3.

Moving on to my real question. I'm trying to correctly set up my ADC converter. The Tad vs device frequency table in the data sheet has this:
Code:
Operation    PIC18FXXXX     PIC18LFXXXX(4)
 2 TOSC       2.86 MHz        1.43 kHz
 4 TOSC       5.71 MHz        2.86 MHz
 8 TOSC      11.43 MHz        5.72 MHz
16 TOSC      22.86 MHz       11.43 MHz
32 TOSC      40.0 MHz        22.86 MHz
64 TOSC      40.0 MHz        22.86 MHz

This implies that I should use
Code:
setup_adc(ADC_CLOCK_DIV_32); or setup_adc(ADC_CLOCK_DIV_64);

It also has this blurb:

For correct A/D conversions, the A/D conversion clock
(TAD) must be as short as possible, but greater than the
minimum TAD (see parameter 130, Table 28-27 for
more information).
Table 21-1 shows the resultant TAD times derived from
the device operating frequencies and the A/D clock
source selected. <- this is what I quoted above

So I go to the table it talks about and look up those times and get
PIC18FXXXX min-0.7 max-25.0(1) μs TOSC based, VREF ≥ 3.0V
PIC18LFXXXX min-1.4 max-25.0(1) μs VDD = 2.0V;TOSC based, VREF full range

Aquisition time 1.4 μs at 50Ω, but it looks like worst case scenario is 2.4us

Now when I use the project wizard to set everything up (I have to use 18F8722 as a device because it doesn't have a low power version available) I can set up the AD clock, the closest I can get to those values is 2.7 μs - the multiplier that the wizard gives me is ADC_CLOCK_DIV_16, which disagrees with the datasheet. Is the wizard correct in this case?

Also the wizard lets me select aquisition time (which I set at 2.7), with the result function being
Code:
setup_adc(ADC_CLOCK_DIV_16|ADC_TAD_MUL_16);

With the aquisition time in there, does that mean I no longer have to wait after setting the channel? Kind of like this:
Code:
set_adc_channel(channel);
//delay_us(10); // no longer needed
read_adc();

Sorry about this mess, I'm very confused at the moment, and if someone can at least point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:34 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm using a 18LF8722 microcontroller
The datasheet for the PIC says that 22Mhz is max for this low power model.
we're providing full 5V to run it,

Where does the data sheet say it's limited to 22 MHz at 5v ?
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39646c.pdf
eskachig

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:58 pm     Reply with quote

PCM programmer wrote:

Where does the data sheet say it's limited to 22 MHz at 5v ?
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39646c.pdf

P 277 table for clock times vs max frequency. Maybe I took it to mean more than it did.

This is really my first foray into microcontrollers - I'm a .NET developer, my typical work is about as far removed from this as it gets. There is a whole lot of information to digest, forgive me if I ask something stupid - I really do try to search the forums, data sheets, and CCS documentation when I run into trouble before posting.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:16 am     Reply with quote

Key part is figure 28.3.
Last line above the note.
So long as you are using the internal memory, and your supply voltage is greater than:
((24-4)/16.36)+2 volts = 2.367v, the chip is certified to run at your 24MHz

The LF devices have significant changes to the ADC, increasing the internal resistances, and doubling the required sample times relative to the normal parts. Unfortunately, this does mean that the ADC may well be a problem.

I'd suggest using the internal RC instead of the master clock, and putting the chip to sleep for the conversion. This will give a Tad, on the LF chips in the order of 3uSec, and is actually the most accurate way to work. A lot depends on what accuracies you actually need. The specified clocks, are 'maxima', to achieve the full specified accuracy of the ADC. Going beyond the figure, doesn't stop the ADC working, but degrades it's accuracy.
So you have two choices:
1) Overclock the ADC a fraction, and accept the (very slight in your case), loss of accuracy.
2) Use the RC clock, and put the chip to sleep.

Best Wishes
eskachig

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:24 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
Key part is figure 28.3.
Last line above the note.
So long as you are using the internal memory, and your supply voltage is greater than:
((24-4)/16.36)+2 volts = 2.367v, the chip is certified to run at your 24MHz
Ok, awesome!

Quote:
The LF devices have significant changes to the ADC, increasing the internal resistances, and doubling the required sample times relative to the normal parts. Unfortunately, this does mean that the ADC may well be a problem.
Not so awesome.

Quote:

1) Overclock the ADC a fraction, and accept the (very slight in your case), loss of accuracy.
2) Use the RC clock, and put the chip to sleep.
I don't think I can put the device to sleep during ADC because I have to have it drive a (software) PWM on a pin. With my settings am I really overclocking the ADC? According to the timing values in table 28-27 the clock settings I've selected should clear the minimums by a large margin. Would it help to slow them down even more? In my own tests it didn't seem to make any difference whatsoever, but I wasn't particularly rigorous about it.

Also, am I setting up the hardware Tacq delay correctly or do I still need a manual delay after channel selection?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: