CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Large Character Format LCDs

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Large Character Format LCDs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:23 am     Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've got a new design that uses a PIC to measure various DC voltages and currents, and displays them on a 20 X 4 character LCD display. I really only need to display one parameter at a time, and I'd like to do it on an LCD with larger characters for better readability. I'm considering a generic LCD display (non-character type) that I can drive directly with a PIC, or creating some custom large characters to display on my current display (or a larger one if needed, like 40 X 4). All I really need to do is display characters 0 - 9, a period, an 'A', and a 'V'. Thoughts on how to approach the need for a large character LCD display?

Thanks,

Daniel
FvM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:30 am     Reply with quote

Do you mean graphics display with "non-character type"? They are specified in terms of pixel rows and columns rather than characters.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:04 pm     Reply with quote

I think he means LCDs like the BPP-420L, about halfway down this page:
http://www.seetron.com/slcds.htm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:37 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Again,

Yes, I'm currently using a character type LCD, but I'm not necessarily wedded to this solution. I'm just looking for a cost-effective way to obtain large characters on an LCD display. I see two options:

1. Use a generic "raw" LCD display, and using a driver chip, or a PIC with built-in LCD functionality, display my data.

OR

2. Use a character type LCD module, and create custom large digits like the Seetron display that PCM Programmer referenced. That display might work, but it's too expensive for my application, and it (undoubtedly) has more functionality than I need!

I'm just looking for any input on what others might have done to address the need for large character LCD displays!

Daniel
rberek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

I have used a monochrome 128x64 Graphics LCD to do something similar (RPM Indicator). They are cheap and easy to control (I believe CCS has a driver for them). The Samsung KS01018 controller is bog standard.

You will just need to create a bitmap of the characters you want to display.

r.b.
FvM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

O.K., I see how large characters can be displayed on a 4 line character display utilizing the programmable character generator with anĂ½ Hitachi compatible display. The term "raw" LCD display seems at least ambiguous to me, and no common technical term anyway.

PICs with LCD interface are dedicated to drive multplexed custom specific LCD displays as used with electronic home appliances or electronic instruments, but not a "generic" character or graphics display.
John Morley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:22 am     Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Thanks for the many helpful suggestions! I like the idea of using the graphic LCD display module, so I've ordered a few from SparkFun to play with!

Thanks,

Daniel
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: