CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

sampling timing help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashrau

sampling timing help
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:33 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I need to sample an analog signal on channel 0 of PIC18F4220. My problem is that i need to take 104 samples, and each of them needs to be spaced exactly 192 microseconds apart. This is for a frequency filter, so the time b/w samples has to be exact.

I am unsure as to how long the a/d acquisition and conversion takes, so that i can accordingly set the delay between samples so that the total delay is exactly 192 us.

Any code along with explanation of what is going on will be greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate a simple explanation of how I can find out the time it takes for the a/d acquisition and conversion process. I am relatively new to microcontrollers. Thanks in advance.

ashrau

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:33 am     Reply with quote

I would setup an rtcc interrupt every 192us, which would be fairly exact. Eg with an 8mhz xtal, and a prescalar of 2 the rtcc will increment every 1us. Or you could clear the rtcc before the conversion, and wait until the rtcc reaches 192 before looping to the next conversion. Either way it doesnt matter how long the conversion takes.
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:46 am     Reply with quote

If you still want to know the time the A/D conversion takes, the very best way is to read the datasheet. It takes a little time to study it but you learn just what is going on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:33 am     Reply with quote

Realistically, Sydney is right, except possibly for chosing the RTCC.
Provided you are using a PIC, that has a timer2 module, far easier to use this, since you can program it to automatically interrupt/reset at a specified number of counts.
Trying to 'cycle count', to get exactly 192uSec, will involve you in working out not only the ADC timing, but how long every memory transfer takes etc.. Easiest way, is probably to use the MPLAB smulator, and just run the stopwatch function in this,then you can tell exactly how long everything takes if needed.

Best Wishes
RLScott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:14 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
...Trying to 'cycle count', to get exactly 192uSec, will involve you in working out not only the ADC timing, but how long every memory transfer takes etc...

You can do cycle counting without knowing exactly how long an ADC conversion takes. You just need to ensure that you are waiting "long enough". Suppose the ADC conversion was taking 11 usec. Then just make sure you wait at least 50 usec before reading the result. There will be no need to check the DONE bit. In fact I would prefer cycle counting to using a timer if there is nothing else to be done during the sampling.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:27 am     Reply with quote

Yes. However I was more worried about the whole approach to cycle counting to get the 192uSc total. It is too easy to miss things like (for instance), it taking longer to access RAM, after one point in the data array, as an extra bank switch appears. Though ccle counting is very essential when using some low level applications, it is easier to get the whole thing accurate, without cumulative errors, by using the interrupt flag (remember you don't actually have to use an _interrupt_ - a search hee will find lots of examples on doing this).

Best Wishes
Sydney

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:29 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
Provided you are using a PIC, that has a timer2 module, far easier to use this, since you can program it to automatically interrupt/reset at a specified number of counts.

Good stuff, I never got as far as timer2, now I can get an exact 20ms interrupt ;) (not that 19.968ms wasn't good enough)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: